Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck on top of a mountain... radio frequency issue? Car won't see the key..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for the second time my model S and i are stuck on top of a mountain.
plenty of charge, that's not the issue.
but the car won't 'see' the key.
which is odd, as i can see the key just fine, it's in my hand. and look, there's the second key, in my other hand.
i hear tell of key signals being blocked by rf frequencies?
sorry to state the obvious, but any car, let alone a super fancy rocket ship car like the model s, shouldn't just stop working
arbitrarily. especially not at the top of a mountain, 2 hours from the nearest town.
as mine has done. again.
tow truck is on it's way.
but i might just push the car over the cliff and walk home.
suggestions?
thoughts?
lawyer recommendations?
thanks.

Can you use the app to unlock the car and then start the car? Can the phone app make contact with the car?

<Well my other post got sent to moderator land so....>

ETA:
And rebooted the center console? Did you ask Tesla if they can unlock/start the car remotely as in the app (I am guessing yes but they are not allowed to or something). Also, anyone back home that you can call to try the app for you - you would have to give them login info though.

Last edited:
alas, no. no cell service up here. but for some reason the car's internet is working fine. thus: this message.

- - - Updated - - -

oh, also i think the app can show me charge settings and temperature and unlock the car but not actually start it. seems like it's the fancy key fob(which isn't working)or nothing. argh. but thanks!

which is odd, as i can see the key just fine, it's in my hand. and look, there's the second key, in my other hand.
sorry to state the obvious, but any car, let alone a super fancy rocket ship car like the model s, shouldn't just stop working
arbitrarily. especially not at the top of a mountain, 2 hours from the nearest town.
as mine has done. again.
suggestions?
thoughts?
lawyer recommendations?
thanks.
Are you able to get in the car? I understand if you put the key in the cupholder in the arm rest the car will be able to start...

Interesting that you are able to connect to the internet via the car's cell connection. I wonder if Telsa has the ability to unlock/start the car as in the app for emergency situations like this (I am guessing no). Anyone at home that you can call and ask them to try to connect to the car via the app (you would have to share your Tesla login/password though)?

I am assuming that Tesla has told you to try rebooting the center console?

Sorry that you are stuck and I am not of much help. Good luck getting home soon!

If you can't open the car... try putting the key up to the fender like the illustration below:

- - - Updated - - -

Try rebooting your car...? Reboot Your Model S

Attachments

• 10.PNG
    10.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,493
Sorry to hear your troubles. I understand how frustrating it is.

I too have been stranded by my car, though that was because I left my key in the boot whilst I helped someone kit up for scuba diving. Turned round the car had locked itself, spare was 75 miles away, and no 3G signal :(

I ended up getting a lift home wearing a drysuit! :D

Of course on the way back to collect the car the next day I tried my app, and guess what the car had picked up 3G signal and I could unlock it from miles away! :(

- - - Updated - - -

Can you use the app to unlock the car and then start the car? Can the phone app make contact with the car?

<Well my other post got sent to moderator land so....>

ETA:
And rebooted the center console? Did you ask Tesla if they can unlock/start the car remotely as in the app (I am guessing yes but they are not allowed to or something). Also, anyone back home that you can call to try the app for you - you would have to give them login info though.

When I got locked out they did try on my behalf but asked a number of security questions first. This is EU support though, might be different in US.

as mine has done. again.
suggestions?
thoughts?
lawyer recommendations?
thanks.

This happens all the time at the carpark at the top of Mt. Soledad in San Diego. Interference from the radio towers there. I've had no trouble opening the car from the iPhone app*, and once in the car with the fob everything is OK again.

(*) except for the time I forgot to bring my phone when I took some international visitors up there. I had to borrow a bystander's phone to call the service number and get them to remotely unlock it. (Yes, in case you're wondering, I've parked there multiple times. It's a great view for a visitor to San Diego.)

Just to throw an additional 2 cents in. It's not just Tesla. I have the same issue with cell phones and my Nissan Murano. Bluetooth devices seem to wreak havoc with the jobs as well. I would think if you actually got into the car that the key placed in the "start" spot would be able to drown out the interference.

I have seen instances where the fob didn't work in the cup holder, but did work when held against the panel where the USB and 12v plugs are located. It's slightly closer to the antenna. You can test this by pulling the battery from the fob.

My car will also unlock if the fob is placed at the base of the right windshield wiper, as documented in the 5.x owner's manual.

Call me a jerk but do you even own a Tesla?
I was actually wondering that myself.

- new poster with only 4 posts
- brought both key fobs on a trip?
- no cell signal but Internet works in the car?
- no cell signal but able to call a tow truck?
- app shows him all kinds of info that requires it to have contact with the car and even unlocks the car (despite no cell service) but he can't start the car with it?

Seems fishy.