Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck tail light plastic trunk stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Started to install the tow hitch for model 3 and got stuck at step 2. One of the plastic trunk stop keeps spinning but will not remove. I had no issue with the other side plastic trunk stop.
Any idea how I can remove this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 71
That happened to one of my trunk stops years ago, but I've still been able to remove them by slightly squeezing with channel lock pliers. The worse case is that the plastic piece separates from the brass threaded sleeve that's inside it. But then you can easily remove the brass piece with pliers and epoxy them together. That's what I did with both of mine when the second trunk stop gave out as well. I washed and dried the brass and plastic pieces really well, then trimmed some of the plastic that goes around the brass sleeve for better adhesion. Used 2-part epoxy that mixes itself through the tube as you squeeze the plunger. After letting them dry overnight they were better than new. I should have taken some pics, but I didn't.

if the plastic top spins but it doesn't come out the plastic too and the bolt have somehow become unseparated. Personally I would just destroy that thing to get to the bolt and get it out of there for a job like the hitch as I'm pretty sure you need to replace it. I'd probably be whipping out the vice grips and letting some 4 letter words fly.