TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Studies of backup requirements for Wind?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by RDoc, Aug 28, 2014.

1. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I'm looking for references to studies of the actual backup requirements for widespread wind power systems where their contributions are greater than 30 - 50%. Specifically I'd like to know more about how much non-wind backup is required to maintain 100% capacity at all times and how widespread the grid interconnects would have to be. The problem obviously is that there are times of the year/day when calm winds prevail over large areas and those times aren't correlated with low power demand.

The few serious studies I've seen seem to imply that even when there is wide geographic distribution, e.g. the entire upper Midwest, there would need to be on the order of 10 times the nameplate generating capacity at least 20% of the time to maintain full nameplate generation. Maintaining it for for greater than 90% of the time seems pretty impractical without almost 100% backup.

It surprises me that such studies aren't widely available, they don't seem that difficult to do.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Robert(.Boston) started a thread with a link to a Siemens simulation and test that looked into requirements, although focused on a 100% renewable grid. Siemens study on grid integration

It's pretty interesting.

3. RDoc

RDoc S85D

As I said in the other thread, that was very interesting. They seem to feel that for large wind power utilization there has to be pretty much 100% backup.