Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Study: Tesla Model S Holds Value Over 2x Better Than Average Gas Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think those are fair criticisms. iseecars doesn't say much about their methodology but they do state: "* Tesla Model S new car prices estimated from Tesla's 2016 quarterly shareholder updates."

The only sales price information Tesla provides in its quarterly updates is Average Sales Prices (ASP). If they compared ASPs in 2016 to used car sales in 2019 the results could be skewed by, for example, more frequent sales of higher end used Model Ss, which could easily be the case.
You do realize the ASP is for NEW CARS, not used. So the study takes in declining ASP as a measure to calculate used car depreciation?!? Heck, why not take the stock price and calculate used car depreciation from that, or maybe number of Elon's tweets per day? This study is complete BS, someone glued together unrelated facts, added some fancy sounding words, added the conclusion they wanted to give, and putt it out on the internet.

Reactions: Ludalicious
I haven't dug into the details of this report, but atleast one issue is that they are using ASP - used price to calculate depreciation for the Tesla and MSRP - used price to calculate it for the other cars. So it's not apples to apples since the ASP for the other cars was likely lower than MSRP. That being said, it still doesn't explain how they got 17%. Maybe they're using Tesla's retail used car prices instead of wholesale values? But yeah, it has 0 credibility and doesn't pass the smell test.

In my opinion, I feel that over the air updates and modest body style changes add to the desirability of preowned Model S's lowering their depreciation rates.

Unlike BMW, Mercedes or Audi's, Model S's are always current with the latest in-dash experiences and features and their body style still looks current.

Plus they out-perform the competition .