Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stumped! How Do I lock the Windows ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Embarrassing, really ...

I found the option in the quick controls,
And the option in the 'Locks' sub-menu (I activated both windows and doors)

And yet, each door can still roll down the windows by pressing the power button.

Are you referring the the window switches by the driver seat? With the windows locked, the driver can still open & close all the individual windows but the passengers will not be able to operate their windows.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Are you referring the the window switches by the driver seat? With the windows locked, the driver can still open & close all the individual windows but the passengers will not be able to operate their windows.
I want to prevent my 4 legged friend from accidentally rolling down the front passenger or rear windows (NOT using the driver door buttons, using the passenger and rear doors switches). So far, my window locking maneuvers have failed.

I have to correct this OP:
I only checked the front passenger window. It still responds to the switch on its door.

The window and child locks only disable the rear seat controls. The front passenger window and door switches still work when those settings are turned on. It's in the manual.

If the rear window and door switches still work when locks are enabled, something is wrong and you should see what Tesla says.

I want to prevent my 4 legged friend from accidentally rolling down the front passenger or rear windows (NOT using the driver door buttons, using the passenger and rear doors switches). So far, my window locking maneuvers have failed.
Did you ever find a solution? My pit bull figured out how to roll down the windows and now she does it and jumps out to follow me or search for me. I’m so stressed out about this, because I take her everywhere with me. I tried getting a harness seat belt to keep her in the car, but she figured out how to unbuckle the seat belt, freeing herself up to roll down the windows and jump out.

Did you ever find a solution? My pit bull figured out how to roll down the windows and now she does it and jumps out to follow me or search for me. I’m so stressed out about this, because I take her everywhere with me. I tried getting a harness seat belt to keep her in the car, but she figured out how to unbuckle the seat belt, freeing herself up to roll down the windows and jump out.
Maybe get a cover like this? Below is just something I googled and is unlikely to fit the Model 3, but just an idea.
Car Window & Lock Control Cover Pet Lock You Out - Etsy

You can probably make a makeshift one for cheap from a wall plate cover (may need to make a paper template and cut one edge with a hacksaw). Then secure with either tape or velcro (or looking at 3d printed version, get a square dowel that fits into the slot of the switch and glue to the bottom of cover).
Leviton 1-Gang Midway Blank Nylon Wall Plate, Black R55-0PJ13-00E

I see in other thread people just make it out of cardboard which is even easier (just need a box cutter and some spare cardboard). Some made a 3d printed one that fits perfectly, you may be able to get a local printer to print out the design for you.
My dogs keep opening the windows!

Last edited:
Maybe get a cover like this? Below is just something I googled and is unlikely to fit the Model 3, but just an idea.
Car Window & Lock Control Cover Pet Lock You Out - Etsy

You can probably make a makeshift one for cheap from a wall plate cover (may need to make a paper template and cut one edge with a hacksaw). Then secure with either tape or velcro (or looking at 3d printed version, get a square dowel that fits into the slot of the switch and glue to the bottom of cover).
Leviton 1-Gang Midway Blank Nylon Wall Plate, Black R55-0PJ13-00E

I see in other thread people just make it out of cardboard which is even easier (just need a box cutter and some spare cardboard). Some made a 3d printed one that fits perfectly, you may be able to get a local printer to print out the design for you.
My dogs keep opening the windows!
Thank you. I tried cardboard with duct tape already. She chews that off within minutes. I did see the Etsy listing before, but it looks easy to flip up. She is a very determined pit bull with bad separation anxiety.

The best seat belt harness on the market (sleepypod) was an epic fail. She thrashed around and nearly strangled herself. Today, she unbuckled the seat belt, rolled down the window, jumped out & chased after me. 😫😭

I’m trying to find a sturdy non-mesh pet barrier that will fit in the M3 to keep her in the backseat. I did find these window barriers, but the window frames need to metal. BreezeGuard Metal Car Window Guard Screens

I’m at my wits end.

Thank you. I tried cardboard with duct tape already. She chews that off within minutes. I did see the Etsy listing before, but it looks easy to flip up. She is a very determined pit bull with bad separation anxiety.

The best seat belt harness on the market (sleepypod) was an epic fail. She thrashed around and nearly strangled herself. Today, she unbuckled the seat belt, rolled down the window, jumped out & chased after me. 😫😭

I’m trying to find a sturdy non-mesh pet barrier that will fit in the M3 to keep her in the backseat. I did find these window barriers, but the window frames need to metal. BreezeGuard Metal Car Window Guard Screens

I’m at my wits end.
Maybe the 3d printed one would work better? It won't be able to be chewed, the only thing is if it may be pried off easily. Maybe a strap can be strapped around the door panel to secure it, but looking at the door panel, doesn't seem like there is a easy way to wrap around.

As for partitions, Model 3 is rarely outfitted with partitions even in police duty (probably due to limited space), but there are a couple departments that have Model Ys that have such partitions. For example Eden Prairie:
This article lists a bunch of cities that have outfitted Model Y:
Tesla Model Y joins Fremont Police Department after successful Model S pilot program [Update]
Logan also did:
Logan Police Department unveils Tesla Model Y cruiser

Maybe you can find one nearby and reach out and see if you can get the vendor that outfitted the partition and see if they can do Model 3 also.

The Fremont one actually had a BOM and that was outfitted by Priority1, but they are in Belmont in California.
https://www.fremontpolice.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/630/637775763158900000

Another idea is to create a window switch kill switch. It would require taking out the door panel and modifying the harness of the window switch. You can find used Model 3 switches on eBay to use to modify if you want to keep a factory switch just in case. Basically involves wiring an inline switch that switches off the window switch, and you can hide that kill switch somewhere. You would need to find somewhere for the new switch to exit (may need to drill hole in door panel, maybe hide in door pocket or bottom of door panel, someplace dog can't possibly toggle). For the driver side you may want a DPST (double pole single throw) switch so that a single switch switches off both driver and passenger windows, although if there is a power wire in the harness that powers the whole switch, you might be able to use a single switch that shuts off all the buttons. You would need to be pretty good with electrical if you do this mod however (or find someone that is), as it requires testing the wire harness to find which wire does what and properly connecting everything safely.

Reactions: moandtwo
Reminds me of this oldie....

I'd be careful about installing a kill switch for the windows. If she feels "trapped" inside, it sounds like your pup would start tearing into the upholstery. I would also vote for consulting a Cesar Millan-type for advice on reducing the separation anxiety.

I'd be careful about installing a kill switch for the windows. If she feels "trapped" inside, it sounds like your pup would start tearing into the upholstery. I would also vote for consulting a Cesar Millan-type for advice on reducing the separation anxiety.
You are absolutely correct about her feeling trapped. The app doesn’t give an alert when the windows are rolled down (only if left open after exiting). So I usually watch the app, by Climate - Dog Mode in the app, it will display “window open”. So I closed it from the app. My dog & I did this back & forth about 5 times. Then she stopped. I came back to the car with a chewed door handle. 😫😭

We are making progress, though. I duct taped the controls really good & returned to the car with only a few claw like marks on the duct tape. I’m meeting with a trainer next week. Pretty much coming to terms if I ever want to sell or trade my M3, I’ll need all new door panels. 🤷‍♀️ I got the car because of the dog mode, so I expected some interior damage, I just don’t want my dog getting hit by a car by exiting the vehicle by herself.

You are absolutely correct about her feeling trapped. The app doesn’t give an alert when the windows are rolled down (only if left open after exiting). So I usually watch the app, by Climate - Dog Mode in the app, it will display “window open”. So I closed it from the app. My dog & I did this back & forth about 5 times. Then she stopped. I came back to the car with a chewed door handle. 😫😭

We are making progress, though. I duct taped the controls really good & returned to the car with only a few claw like marks on the duct tape. I’m meeting with a trainer next week. Pretty much coming to terms if I ever want to sell or trade my M3, I’ll need all new door panels. 🤷‍♀️ I got the car because of the dog mode, so I expected some interior damage, I just don’t want my dog getting hit by a car by exiting the vehicle by herself.

LOL re: the SNL bit. 😂 I do have a friend that works for a cannabis company. They just came out with pot biscuits for dogs.

Maybe the 3d printed one would work better? It won't be able to be chewed, the only thing is if it may be pried off easily. Maybe a strap can be strapped around the door panel to secure it, but looking at the door panel, doesn't seem like there is a easy way to wrap around.

As for partitions, Model 3 is rarely outfitted with partitions even in police duty (probably due to limited space), but there are a couple departments that have Model Ys that have such partitions. For example Eden Prairie:
This article lists a bunch of cities that have outfitted Model Y:
Tesla Model Y joins Fremont Police Department after successful Model S pilot program [Update]
Logan also did:
Logan Police Department unveils Tesla Model Y cruiser

Maybe you can find one nearby and reach out and see if you can get the vendor that outfitted the partition and see if they can do Model 3 also.

The Fremont one actually had a BOM and that was outfitted by Priority1, but they are in Belmont in California.
https://www.fremontpolice.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/630/637775763158900000

Another idea is to create a window switch kill switch. It would require taking out the door panel and modifying the harness of the window switch. You can find used Model 3 switches on eBay to use to modify if you want to keep a factory switch just in case. Basically involves wiring an inline switch that switches off the window switch, and you can hide that kill switch somewhere. You would need to find somewhere for the new switch to exit (may need to drill hole in door panel, maybe hide in door pocket or bottom of door panel, someplace dog can't possibly toggle). For the driver side you may want a DPST (double pole single throw) switch so that a single switch switches off both driver and passenger windows, although if there is a power wire in the harness that powers the whole switch, you might be able to use a single switch that shuts off all the buttons. You would need to be pretty good with electrical if you do this mod however (or find someone that is), as it requires testing the wire harness to find which wire does what and properly connecting everything safely.
Thank you for all of this info & advice. The 3d printed cover might work better, duct taped down. I’ll do some research about possibly customizing a barrier to keep her in the back seat.