Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stumper! Help needed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I have a weird one happening! I have a new (2019). Before last night I didn't notice this issue... Around 7 last night I prewarmed the cabin so I could clean it etc. After I was done I noticed a light humming noise coming from the center of the frunk, at about the windshield. Figured it was a "Tesla thing" and let it sit overnight. However this morning it was still happening. So, I plugged it in for a bit, then took it for a drive to try to reset it. Sure enough, it was still humming when I parked it (very light humm). I tried locking, unlocking, letting it sit for a couple more hours, turning on cabin temp, turning off cabin temp, and everything in between. It's still doing it...

Here's the kicker...something even more odd. I let it sit for a while longer, and when I came back out I could feel air rushing out of the passenger window, like the blower turned on! The car was powered off and locked! I'm totally stumped. My garage is about 55 degrees and nothing should be on...

One more note (symptom): Oddly enough when I open the door and the screen comes on it stops. It sounds like it's the HVAC motor running...but pushes no air when I close the door. When I come back an hour later you can feel wind coming out of the passenger window. Is it becuase I have one window open a crack?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
If it's a light wind noise while parked, people say it's the car keeping ventilation through the AC unit to dry it off. I know - it's plenty dry in Minnesota in the winter.

If it's a loud noise like a jet engine, then it's something else and not drying the AC. Mine does that sometimes, then it stops completely when I open and shut the door. It doesn't take a drive to make it make the noise - a few weeks ago I backed the car out of the garage, moved something then put the car back. The roar came on and didn't stop until (eventually) I opened and shut the door. Dunno why it does that.

If it's a light wind noise while parked, people say it's the car keeping ventilation through the AC unit to dry it off. I know - it's plenty dry in Minnesota in the winter.

If it's a loud noise like a jet engine, then it's something else and not drying the AC. Mine does that sometimes, then it stops completely when I open and shut the door. It doesn't take a drive to make it make the noise - a few weeks ago I backed the car out of the garage, moved something then put the car back. The roar came on and didn't stop until (eventually) I opened and shut the door. Dunno why it does that.
Any water under the car from the AC condensate?