Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stunning Lucid Air Review Video w/Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing. Pretty cool. I'm blown away by the motor size, weight and power - which includes power control unit, transmission and diff. Like they said in the video about it being the new LS swap of the future, can you imagine the swaps people will start doing with these motors?

They said a future model is coming with 3 motors, I wouldn't be surprised if it just comes with 4, 1 for each wheel. That will be some crazy hp numbers.

In any case, it's exciting to see these new companies pushing boundaries and helping push traditional automakers to do better.

What's the status of production and what are the long term goals for the company? It looks like all they're making is small numbers of the $170k Dream Edition right now. Even the 'base' Air Pure model is about $80k giving it a pretty limited market. I found the articles linked below on a web search and looking at their web site orders for the dream edition are closed and it appears you can only 'reserve' one of the other models for future production/delivery.

Tesla recognized the need for a larger market and openly stated that the goal was to establish the market, then they created the 3 and Y which were intended to be more mainstream models with larger numbers. As nice as it may be, I don't know that focusing on $100k+ cars is a viable business plan.

Great video - i want this guy selling my Sienna one day! One thing that strikes me is there was zero attention paid to the software/dashboard experience, which is a major part of owning a Tesla. Only a brief mention of Tesla’s ridiculous decision to force the yoke steering wheel on everyone (agree it’s awful). And although he briefly mentions Tesla’s private charging network, this is one of Tesla’s most effective weapons against competitors. Owning a Lucid is to be latched to the hodgepodge of poorly lit and randomly placed j-connector options out there. And I agree that it looks less like a Mercedes and more like Buick.

Having said that, they now have a showroom here in West Palm Beach and I am looking forward to getting over there soon for a look and eventual test drive.

I like at 8:00 in the video: "...It's an aggregate of a million little thoughtful Silicon Valley touches that make living with a Tesla better than living with any other car, period. Things like Autopilot, and a frunk, and a genuinely intuitive and responsive infotainment system, one-pedal driving, and just not having to press a start button when there's no engine to start." Take those one at a time.
1) autopilot: The hands-free product I bought was replaced with a naggy one. AP2 has yet to really prove itself as a "wow" factor.
2) frunk: biohazard mode filters have shrunk this to a nearly useless volume.
3) intuitive and responsive infotainment system: V11. 'nuff said
4) one-pedal driving: Thanks to reduced regen, this isn't true for me anymore.
5) not having to press a start button: We have pin-to-drive now, if you want to be safe, meaning multiple button presses at random non-haptic locations.

It's like Tesla got a checklist of all the positive differentiators and curdled each one. I guess the Model S door handles are still cool.

On a positive note, I'm excited for Lucid.

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
That motor looks like half the size of the Taycan motor, and it has almost the same power output as a Turbo S - in one motor.

Lucid has given us something very special.
Does anyone know how does it compare to Tesla's motors? Advances like this are what the EV market needs.

They're probably not considering it at this point, but if they were to license the motor tech they could probably make a fair amount in royalty revenues. And if they license it to Dodge/Chrysler they never have to worry about any competition!

I had listened to the InsideEVs podcast before I watched the Hagerty video. The host of the InsideEVs podcast was dismissive of the video as being too "guyish," whatever that means. Took InsideEVs' credibility down a few notches for me, especially after I watched the Hagerty video and was blown away by its quality.

Their discussion starts at 40:00 if you'd like to see it.

I was wrong and they are not building their own network - that's Rivian. But all that aside, I also happened to see this video earlier this week and loved it. Great comparison. If only the Lucid didn't look like a futuristic tank!
It feels like we're getting close to a critical mass of EVs such that EV charging stations will be more viable endeavors. It affects Tesla owners less but it will be helpful for the entire ecosystem.

I hope so! I would really like to see consistency between the charging networks and not this proprietary stuff. Better for everyone.

Btw - do you all in the US not have Chargepoint? I hear a lot about Electrify America being terrible, but Chargepoint seems to be pretty solid for us up here in Canada.

I hope so! I would really like to see consistency between the charging networks and not this proprietary stuff. Better for everyone.

Btw - do you all in the US not have Chargepoint? I hear a lot about Electrify America being terrible, but Chargepoint seems to be pretty solid for us up here in Canada.
I've used Chargepoint a few times, all over the US. It's been 100% good for me. In contrast, Blink has been universally bad.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Great video - i want this guy selling my Sienna one day! One thing that strikes me is there was zero attention paid to the software/dashboard experience, which is a major part of owning a Tesla. Only a brief mention of Tesla’s ridiculous decision to force the yoke steering wheel on everyone (agree it’s awful). And although he briefly mentions Tesla’s private charging network, this is one of Tesla’s most effective weapons against competitors. Owning a Lucid is to be latched to the hodgepodge of poorly lit and randomly placed j-connector options out there. And I agree that it looks less like a Mercedes and more like Buick.

Having said that, they now have a showroom here in West Palm Beach and I am looking forward to getting over there soon for a look and eventual test drive.
Aaaa. Tesla didn’t force the yoke steering on everyone as the yoke is only in Plaid versions of the Model S and X. And I love it!!