Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid App Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the app, under Controls, there's a button that says Start.
What does this do? Isn't the car always on? o_O

Does it allow driving if you don't have the key card and aren't using your phone as key or something?

2nd question: my phone as a key seems to work fine for unlocking when walking away, but has yet to lock the car when approaching. Is there another setting somewhere, or is it just buggy?

In the app, under Controls, there's a button that says Start.
What does this do? Isn't the car always on? o_O

Does it allow driving if you don't have the key card and aren't using your phone as key or something?

2nd question: my phone as a key seems to work fine for unlocking when walking away, but has yet to lock the car when approaching. Is there another setting somewhere, or is it just buggy?

The car is normally in sleep mode with the screen black. If you Start the car through the the app, I would think that it would do the same as unlocking by opening the driver door. The screen would power up and display like when you open the driver door.

Your phone app would have to be connected to the car in order to use the start feature. You would need to sit in the driver seat and the phone key would need to be recognized in order to drive.

2nd question - I think you have your unlock/lock backwards. If you have it enabled the car will lock when you walk away. The car will unlock when you open a door.

I believe that the “start” function allows you to start the car remotely, even if you aren’t near the car.

This could be useful if someone else is driving the car, and either lost their keycard, their phone ran out of battery, you want to let someone use your car and you aren’t nearby, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: gecko10x