Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid CPO Question.. What's included?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if they have to include anything in particular...
like floor mats? (The one I'm getting did not show floor mats in any of the pics so didn't know if that was negotiable?)
Tires with at least 50% tread? (Can't tell from pics..if a tire has been plugged or has minimal tread do they have to replace before acceptance?)
Tail lights that do not have condensation? (I've seen several others that show condensation and know that's a common thing, especially for the older ones)
Anything else?

It should come with floor mats, two sets of keys, and tail lights without condensation.

If anything is missing make note and request a due bill (either they provide them there or you’ll have to pick them up/have it fixed at a later date.

According to the 70 point inspection the minimum tread depth is 4/32 of an inch (yes I have my inspection report, I won’t post it because it’s restricted info)

It should come with floor mats, two sets of keys, and tail lights without condensation.

If anything is missing make note and request a due bill (either they provide them there or you’ll have to pick them up/have it fixed at a later date.

According to the 70 point inspection the minimum tread depth is 4/32 of an inch (yes I have my inspection report, I won’t post it because it’s restricted info)

Thanks. Good to know. I didn't even think of the 2 key fobs vs 1 (my last car only came with 1).I'm doing some researching now and found some other member's checklist of things to look over but didn't see the 4/32 tire info or floormat specifications.

Taillight condensation and/or water should be a warranty fix.

Two keys, a J-1772 adapter, and a UMC should all be included. Not sure if floor mats were standard on ALL Tesla vehicles or not.

At a minimum, tires should have enough tread to exceed state inspection requirements but those requirements are usually less than the 4/32” I have seen mentioned here.

My first Tesla was one of the last true CPO cars in 2017 and had four brand new Michelin Primacy tires that still have about half their tread left after almost 29000 miles.

The car I pick up tomorrow also seems like its Pilot Super Sport tires are like new, probably under 5K on them from photos.

The updated CPO program is nothing like what it was. I picked up a P85+ in Marina Del Ray on 4/11. Opened at 10AM and I was off the lot by 10:15. No due bill requested by me. I did ask:
1. Only 1 key? He said yup and I was like Ok.
2. Tail light condensation and out. Warranty repair guaranteed and confirmed today.
3. Belt line alignment: warranty, fixed in front of me today by lead tech in Fremont SC.

As a previous S owner I knew what could be a due bill and what is covered under warranty.

Now that all being said, I drove it back up to the Bay Area. I noticed a few things before hopping behind the wheel. Brand new 21” gray turbines. Nice. Interior very clean, no scuffs inside, very minimal seat wrinkle, and oddly no XM button on the radio. All charging bundle present and looks well used. Damn no spare connector behind the upper microphone grill. Damn you P44,xxx, you are a rare well built machine. Not too many P85+ in the wild I understand.

What I found on the 400 mile drive home.
- drive unit making noise, doesn’t meet threshold for replacement but likely will qualify for swap DU in another 25-40k miles. (Around the 90K mile mark, confirmed by lead tech again today)
- while at speed (75mph), WOT up to 95 and the DU cut out, I mean the PRND icons turned red, the dotted lines for power on the center dash dial appeared and spun wildly and the DU shut down. Easy up and car slows and DU resumes. Scared the bejesus out of me twice. I note this is 4/11 between 10:15AM and 12:00. Have not been able to replicate it again. Tech is researching the logs while in service, as we couldn’t replicate it in the short test ride we went on.
- about 30 minutes into drive main display reset, lost my quickly preset streaming favorites. This happened twice while driving. Then weirdly some 2 hours later a message on 17” display says factory reset/update complete. I assume the car was in a full firmware update and factory refresh and they handed me the car before it fully completed.
- At the first SC I noticed XM button appeared in Radio. Must have been part of the update. So I added the account. There’s the “premium sound”.
- I must have messed with the suspension by lowering and setting it during the update. I noticed a few days later the air suspension raising and lowering high to std. kept showing std after a few seconds. Tech confirmed today it’s likely out of calibration, if not, hello new suspension.

Have had her about 3 weeks and just got back from Hawai’i and it’s in for service. But that’s ok, got a loaner P85D for the weekend I guess.

I don’t mean to offend anyone but laying down such high expectations is great, and it can lead you into a hole of self doubt. I’ve found you can count on Tesla Service (the Fremont site, they know me by name (in a good way I think)). If your car is under warranty it’s a no brainer and always no charge (yeah pun intended). Never paid a dime for service. The new CPO warranty covers the major stuff but not owner carelessness which to me seems fair, and I will be out of pocketing 1x roof rack cover piece and that 2nd key fob. IIRC Tesla even back in 2015 wanted $$ for a replacement FOB. Enjoy your checklists everyone, I hope it doesn’t ruin the big picture for ya.

Can wait to get my RFS put back in. Need that reinforced bumper and the fitting washers for the seat bracket piece, you know the one peopl warn about dropping inside the body if done wrong.

seclintiom
The updated CPO program is nothing like what it was. I picked up a P85+ in Marina Del Ray on 4/11. Opened at 10AM and I was off the lot by 10:15. No due bill requested by me. I did ask:
1. Only 1 key? He said yup and I was like Ok.
2. Tail light condensation and out. Warranty repair guaranteed and confirmed today.
3. Belt line alignment: warranty, fixed in front of me today by lead tech in Fremont SC.

As a previous S owner I knew what could be a due bill and what is covered under warranty.

Now that all being said, I drove it back up to the Bay Area. I noticed a few things before hopping behind the wheel. Brand new 21” gray turbines. Nice. Interior very clean, no scuffs inside, very minimal seat wrinkle, and oddly no XM button on the radio. All charging bundle present and looks well used. Damn no spare connector behind the upper microphone grill. Damn you P44,xxx, you are a rare well built machine. Not too many P85+ in the wild I understand.

What I found on the 400 mile drive home.
- drive unit making noise, doesn’t meet threshold for replacement but likely will qualify for swap DU in another 25-40k miles. (Around the 90K mile mark, confirmed by lead tech again today)
- while at speed (75mph), WOT up to 95 and the DU cut out, I mean the PRND icons turned red, the dotted lines for power on the center dash dial appeared and spun wildly and the DU shut down. Easy up and car slows and DU resumes. Scared the bejesus out of me twice. I note this is 4/11 between 10:15AM and 12:00. Have not been able to replicate it again. Tech is researching the logs while in service, as we couldn’t replicate it in the short test ride we went on.
- about 30 minutes into drive main display reset, lost my quickly preset streaming favorites. This happened twice while driving. Then weirdly some 2 hours later a message on 17” display says factory reset/update complete. I assume the car was in a full firmware update and factory refresh and they handed me the car before it fully completed.
- At the first SC I noticed XM button appeared in Radio. Must have been part of the update. So I added the account. There’s the “premium sound”.
- I must have messed with the suspension by lowering and setting it during the update. I noticed a few days later the air suspension raising and lowering high to std. kept showing std after a few seconds. Tech confirmed today it’s likely out of calibration, if not, hello new suspension.

Have had her about 3 weeks and just got back from Hawai’i and it’s in for service. But that’s ok, got a loaner P85D for the weekend I guess.

I don’t mean to offend anyone but laying down such high expectations is great, and it can lead you into a hole of self doubt. I’ve found you can count on Tesla Service (the Fremont site, they know me by name (in a good way I think)). If your car is under warranty it’s a no brainer and always no charge (yeah pun intended). Never paid a dime for service. The new CPO warranty covers the major stuff but not owner carelessness which to me seems fair, and I will be out of pocketing 1x roof rack cover piece and that 2nd key fob. IIRC Tesla even back in 2015 wanted $$ for a replacement FOB. Enjoy your checklists everyone, I hope it doesn’t ruin the big picture for ya.

Can wait to get my RFS put back in. Need that reinforced bumper and the fitting washers for the seat bracket piece, you know the one peopl warn about dropping inside the body if done wrong.

Good info...The CPO program some 3 years ago had a 220+ item inspection check list, and they published it.

I have asked for, and been refused, a copy of the 70 point inspection list from several SC's. I think if there was a copy, it should be made available. It is bad enough we have to buy the cars sight unseen,. We should at least be able to check the work was performed. if ANYONE has a copy please publish.

Seclinton, some of you problems may have been caused by a faulty ground. not likely for a SoCal car, but easy to check.

Last edited:
seclintiom

Good info...The CPO program some 3 years ago had a 220+ item inspection check list, and they published it.

I have asked for, and been refused, a copy of the 70 point inspection list from several SC's. I think if there was a copy, it should be made available. It is bad enough we have to buy the cars sight unseen,. We should at least be able to check the work was performed. if ANYONE has a copy please publish.

Seclinton, some of you problems may have been caused by a faulty ground. not likely for a SoCal car, but easy to check.
It’s in for service right now, so they will figure that out. I haven’t touched the wiring yet. Still contemplating dash cam install since the connector isn’t there behind the mic grill

The video was posted a year and a half ago, when the previous “actual CPO” process was still in place. He appears to have gotten a lot of stuff repaired and replaced. Somehow I don’t think I’ll be so lucky with the thoroughness of my inspection process for my pending used delivery.