Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid dome light question

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
You can set the Dome Light to Auto or you can manually press or push the Dome light in to quickly turn it on.

1BCFE149-B478-4E4D-AF1A-4F571F550C98.jpeg

fseir

May 1, 2016
Honolulu
My dome lights (on auto setting) don’t turn on if a passenger opens a door and the car isn’t in park. Is that normal? I realize I’m probably supposed to put the car in park, but there are plenty of times when I need to just roll up to drop the kids off at school and have them hop out, without shifting to park. Would be nice if the dome lights came on, like they do is every other car I’ve ever owned. :confused:

Reactions: Gator Rican

CanadianMetal

Jan 3, 2019
Vancouver BC
… I realize I’m probably supposed to put the car in park, but there are plenty of times when I need to just roll up to drop the kids off at school and have them hop out, without shifting to park. Would be nice if the dome lights came on, like they do is every other car I’ve ever owned. :confused:

The real question is :

Your are in Hawaii , why are you in such a rush , to save half a second ?

Shift into park, look at the palm trees, problem solved.

Shaka Brah !

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
My dome lights (on auto setting) don’t turn on if a passenger opens a door and the car isn’t in park. Is that normal? I realize I’m probably supposed to put the car in park, but there are plenty of times when I need to just roll up to drop the kids off at school and have them hop out, without shifting to park. Would be nice if the dome lights came on, like they do is every other car I’ve ever owned. :confused:

Always put a car in park when dropping passengers off. Always. Dangerous to your passengers if you elect not to.

Not a problem.

Gator Rican

Nov 5, 2018
Florida

I'm with you here - dome lights should come on ANYTIME doors are ajar regardless of whether or not car is in park.

Reactions: fseir

fseir

May 1, 2016
Honolulu
The real question is :

Your are in Hawaii , why are you in such a rush , to save half a second ?

Shift into park, look at the palm trees, problem solved.

Shaka Brah !
Good point. I will make it a habit to shift to park when dropping off. Previously, I was under the impression that doing so would cause easy access to move the seat, steering wheel, and mirrors, but after paying more attention, realize that only happens when the driver’s door is opened. So shifting in and out of park takes no time or effort at all! And as a bonus, the dome lights come on, too. :cool:

Reactions: mrau

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC