Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid dome light question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can set the Dome Light to Auto or you can manually press or push the Dome light in to quickly turn it on.

1BCFE149-B478-4E4D-AF1A-4F571F550C98.jpeg

My dome lights (on auto setting) don’t turn on if a passenger opens a door and the car isn’t in park. Is that normal? I realize I’m probably supposed to put the car in park, but there are plenty of times when I need to just roll up to drop the kids off at school and have them hop out, without shifting to park. Would be nice if the dome lights came on, like they do is every other car I’ve ever owned. :confused:

Reactions: Gator Rican
… I realize I’m probably supposed to put the car in park, but there are plenty of times when I need to just roll up to drop the kids off at school and have them hop out, without shifting to park. Would be nice if the dome lights came on, like they do is every other car I’ve ever owned. :confused:

The real question is :

Your are in Hawaii , why are you in such a rush , to save half a second ?

Shift into park, look at the palm trees, problem solved.

Shaka Brah !

My dome lights (on auto setting) don’t turn on if a passenger opens a door and the car isn’t in park. Is that normal? I realize I’m probably supposed to put the car in park, but there are plenty of times when I need to just roll up to drop the kids off at school and have them hop out, without shifting to park. Would be nice if the dome lights came on, like they do is every other car I’ve ever owned. :confused:

Always put a car in park when dropping passengers off. Always. Dangerous to your passengers if you elect not to.

Not a problem.

I'm with you here - dome lights should come on ANYTIME doors are ajar regardless of whether or not car is in park.

Reactions: CSTARZZ and fseir
The real question is :

Your are in Hawaii , why are you in such a rush , to save half a second ?

Shift into park, look at the palm trees, problem solved.

Shaka Brah !
Good point. I will make it a habit to shift to park when dropping off. Previously, I was under the impression that doing so would cause easy access to move the seat, steering wheel, and mirrors, but after paying more attention, realize that only happens when the driver’s door is opened. So shifting in and out of park takes no time or effort at all! And as a bonus, the dome lights come on, too. :cool:

Reactions: CSTARZZ and mrau