Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Stupid Ideas" For long range Electric Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add a boat tail to your Model S. Not only does it reduce drag 15%, it'll also look totally bitchin.

boattail1.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: RIZE and GoTslaGo
I like the OP's idea even if it is not realistic.

People love to instantly shoot down innovative ideas. As technology advances coming up with the next best version of something gets harder and requires radical thinking. It means most ideas won't make it to the real world, but some will and they will be great.

Along the lines of the helium idea.....using aero-gels to fill voids would make the car lighter, quieter, better insulated, and maybe safer.

OK. If you have small bags of helium throughout the car, then the helium would provide a small amount of lift therefore making the car a big lighter and extending the range a bit. :D

The energy lost doesn't have, necessarily, something to do with the gravitational pull of the car and the planet earth. With added helium, your car would get heavier, so you would have need more power to accelerate and decelerate. The friction of the wheels might be a bit lower, thats true...

People love to instantly shoot down innovative ideas.
Except that there is nothing innovative about this particular idea.
And not every 'wild' idea is equal to all others. There are wild and there are theoretical impossible ideas.
If this idea would work in our universe, we could eat black holes for breakfast.

Except that there is nothing innovative about this particular idea.
And not every 'wild' idea is equal to all others. There are wild and there are theoretical impossible ideas.
If this idea would work in our universe, we could eat black holes for breakfast.

You're fundamentally right. But the last sentence you wrote, just taken at face value, and admittedly out of context, is kind of the opposite of shooting for the moon.

I read a Nat Geo article about the virtues or failure, and I've heard Elon say similar things, and I am now a little biased towards the big/innovative/out-of -the-box ways of thinking.

Maybe the OP will take lessons learned from this exchange and use them to fuel his/her next idea....and maybe that idea will stick.

How do? Is it lighter than air (which fills a void here on Earth)? I don't know of any solid materials with lower density than air at 1 atmosphere pressure.

Air has a density of 1.2922 kg/m^−3 at 273K sea level, there are lots of materials that can be lighter, even solid materials.

One of those is Aerogel, that Evbwcaer mentioned, with 1kg/m^-3. How about reading his comment first, then you would have known at least one material that is lighter.

Not that it would help a lot in an EV, where most of the air is used for breathing, by the passengers.

When you get these ideas in your head, do the math. IF the math works, then post it on the internet. If it doesn't you should be able to forget it.

Thank you kindly.

Do the math heh...

I think if Newton had this mentality then we would not be were we are now..., He went on and created his own math to make what he wanted possible...
So using current math then I would get the same result as all the people that failed and thus conclude this is impossible...For this stupid idea to be possible, the person would have to work on a totally new philosophy and possibly developing a brand new math equation to make it possible...

Can't create brand new ground breaking technology by using good old methods...these old methods can only bring you so far...

I get my idea is stupid, but maybe in a 100 years from now someone might find a way to make it happen lol...

Reactions: hiroshiy and 1208
The energy lost doesn't have, necessarily, something to do with the gravitational pull of the car and the planet earth. With added helium, your car would get heavier, so you would have need more power to accelerate and decelerate. The friction of the wheels might be a bit lower, thats true...
I know. You do realize this is the "stupid ideas" thread? :p

Reactions: R.S
With added helium, your car would get heavier...

No. Helium is lighter than air, so if it displaces the air inside the vehicle, it would get lighter, but the difference is so minute that for all practical purposes it's completely irrelevant compared to the weight of the car.

Also, in order to keep the car filled with helium for any length of time requires the car to be completely airtight, and the added weight for properly sealing the vehicle would completely offset any losses in weight from filling it with helium.

Reactions: Gen3