Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid lane width logic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 Model X is my first Tesla, but reading around, it sounds like this is long standing problem. When a human being is driving along and the right side of the lane widens (either the lane line or curb widens), no one swerves to the right to mindlessly center up; they continue along at a same or reasonable distance from the center/left lane line. How is it that Tesla autopilot (not just enhanced autopilot, but also FSD) can possibly still be so fundamentally stupid? Not only is it annoying and look idiotic when the car continuously centers between painted lane lines, but it's downright dangerous when the car does it to a curb that's widened for a parking lane; the car will just roll along fat dumb and happy between the left lane line and the curb, plowing toward a parked car, and then (maybe) avoid the car at the last minute frantically swerving to the left with a loud alert. I CONSTANTLY have to override autopilot to not look like a moron or to avoid collision with parked cars. How can an otherwise amazing system be so stupid - STILL?? I am not an autopilot engineer, but it seems like it should be one of the easier design challenges to overcome.

My 2022 Model X is my first Tesla, but reading around, it sounds like this is long standing problem. When a human being is driving along and the right side of the lane widens (either the lane line or curb widens), no one swerves to the right to mindlessly center up; they continue along at a same or reasonable distance from the center/left lane line. How is it that Tesla autopilot (not just enhanced autopilot, but also FSD) can possibly still be so fundamentally stupid? Not only is it annoying and look idiotic when the car continuously centers between painted lane lines, but it's downright dangerous when the car does it to a curb that's widened for a parking lane; the car will just roll along fat dumb and happy between the left lane line and the curb, plowing toward a parked car, and then (maybe) avoid the car at the last minute frantically swerving to the left with a loud alert. I CONSTANTLY have to override autopilot to not look like a moron or to avoid collision with parked cars. How can an otherwise amazing system be so stupid - STILL?? I am not an autopilot engineer, but it seems like it should be one of the easier design challenges to overcome.

Tesla would never release an unsafe, untested product and label it Autopilot or Full Self Driving. Oh, wait...

I agree. Why not ask Elon? Seems pretty simple, as you say, and I can’t think of a scenario where it would wrong.

FSD beta didn't do this 'move to the right when lane gets wider' as much as regular AP. Problem I have with both is the desire to ALWAYS be centered in a lane. You have a whole lane to move around in.

Ex. Interstate spec is atleast 12ft wide. A Model 3 is 6'10" wide, so have 5' 2" left in the lane/ Split in 2 and have 2' 7" on either side can move around in lane as required.

Say passing someone on the interstate. You are in the left lane, and car being passed is very wide or is hugging the left of there lane. Can be so close some times, swear could open window and 5-five the guy. A normal, 15 yr old student driver would be told to "move over in there own lane just a bit to open up the space between you and the car passing". NOPE. Not a Tesla on AP or FSD beta.

Same on 2 lane state roads. Same 12 feet wide. When doing a long gentle inside right curve say, the oncoming traffic might hug the centerline a bit. I've been watching a HUMAN drivers on the inside lane move over and DON'T center themselves in the lane as the oncoming traffic can be very close. NOPE, Not a Tesla on AP or FSD Beta.

And lets say there is a specific bump or pothole in the road that can be missed by moving slightly in your lane. NOPE, the Tesla is going to drive right over that. Will be a very enjoyable experience for the Robo-Taxis rider as the car hits all these potholes. (New Solution of raising suspension for S/X for holes helps, but there are time the car should just drive around the stupid thing like a 15 yr old new student driver human with 2 eyes and a brain would do.)

Starting to really think 1.2 MPixel cameras, and AI are NOT at all up to the task of even a bad human driver with 2 eyes and a brain at this point. So many simple things FSD beta can't do right, how can it learn the intricacies of like how to place yourself in the lane for the best experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: brainhouston
This is actually caused by improper lane markings. Exits and entrances from highways are supposed to be marked with a short interrupted line. If there is nothing, the car can guess where the center of the lane is, but it is likely to be wrong. It depends on maintenance cycles ard/or how new the pavement is. See United States Pavement Markings - FHWA MUTCD

When I purchased my 1916 Model X the lane keeping was as you all want. No swerving to the right for an on ramp. By popular demand for central lane keeping in wide lanes such as carpool lanes in Los Angeles, the software was changed to the present behavior and so it has been ever since.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
When I purchased my 1916 Model X the lane keeping was as you all want. No swerving to the right for an on ramp. By popular demand for central lane keeping in wide lanes such as carpool lanes in Los Angeles, the software was changed to the present behavior and so it has been ever since.
I know it's legacy, but calling it a 1916 is a bit dramatic, don't you think? 😀 In all seriousness, though, I guess you mean 2016, and I assume you have AP1. I've actually driven a few AP1 vehicles, and I'm pretty sure I've had them exhibit this behavior, too, albeit maybe not as strictly or abruptly. In either case, as I'm mostly referring to loaners after I got my AP2.5 vehicle, I'm not sure whether if AP1 received any more updates to change that behavior after my experience. It is possible that the first one I drove (Turo rental, 2016 X) was the only one to do it and they changed it afterwards, in which case there is still hope that they'll change it for AP2+ vehicles in the future. To that end, I'm running FSD beta now, and I believe this behavior is improving when using the beta on similar highways where FSD is used instead of NoAP.