Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid me, ordered the wrong car. Tesla will not fix it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having two windows open (Model 3 and Model x) I ordered the wrong car. Yes, How stupid can I be? Well this time it is costing me $250.
I attempted to get it straightened out but to no avail. The answer was cancel the order, forfeit $250 and write a new one.
Well I am as stubborn and Tesla is arrogant. After a couple of phone calls seems it's policy and nothing can be done.
So I am donating my $250 to the one of the richest men and purchasing a different electric car.

Can't believe Tesla would forgo $8000 dollars in profit for what would amount to a title change in my order. Same color same options.
I will miss having the Tesla, will not miss dealing with that level of arrogance.

The ordering page will say “your model 3” huge and bold, right below a big picture of the 3 you designed. The pricing area again says “your model 3” and then shows you the price (which is way different than an X).

If you ordered the wrong options they would let you change them. You ordered a different vehicle. Sorry, but this is on you. They aren’t going to fight for a sale when it means breaking their policy to fix your “mistake”.

They aren’t losing any profit if you don’t buy a car. Someone else will gladly buy it. Not buying a Tesla only affects you, not them. Hold a grudge at the expense of not owning the best car you have ever driven.

After having two windows open (Model 3 and Model x) I ordered the wrong car. Yes, How stupid can I be? Well this time it is costing me $250.
I attempted to get it straightened out but to no avail. The answer was cancel the order, forfeit $250 and write a new one.
Well I am as stubborn and Tesla is arrogant. After a couple of phone calls seems it's policy and nothing can be done.
So I am donating my $250 to the one of the richest men and purchasing a different electric car.

Can't believe Tesla would forgo $8000 dollars in profit for what would amount to a title change in my order. Same color same options.
I will miss having the Tesla, will not miss dealing with that level of arrogance.
$250 is not going to make you poorer or richer 🤷🏽‍♂️ but consider it a payment towards training/certification of making sure you never make a mistake like that again, not here or anywhere else.

Its a stupid policy and it doesn't mean I don't like my Tesla any less to say so. It wasn't a custom color or trim that Tesla is building for the man, its a run of the mill Tesla. Switching the deposit to a different car within the Tesla brand should have been permitted especially so early in the purchase process. Yes, Tesla is perfectly in their right to make such a policy but customer satisfaction issues like these all add up over time. Especially with all the other manufacturers rapidly catching up.

Reactions: davewill
That would be fitting - don't read the Tesla TOS, then ask the credit card company to do it for you while you also don't read the CC TOS. lol.
With certain cards (like Black Card AMEX w/ dedicated concierge service) and with certain customer history? Some card companies have been known to go above and beyond in certain cases. Again, depends on many factors....

Reactions: polyphonic54
I dunno, hard to have any sympathy. Model 3 is $60k while Model X is over $100k. It says it on the confirmation page.
Quite the oversight, no?

But I do agree Tesla should extend an olive branch and get you switched. It can't be that hard.
Keep calling and asking for different people. I talked to two Tesla reps and both were adamant I could not change my M3LR to an M3P (change of heart). One was even arrogant enough to tell me that he sees the Reddit stories and ensures me "they" are wrong.
Eventually, I prevailed and got the perfect helper, who changed me to a P.

Its a stupid policy and it doesn't mean I don't like my Tesla any less to say so. It wasn't a custom color or trim that Tesla is building for the man, its a run of the mill Tesla. Switching the deposit to a different car within the Tesla brand should have been permitted especially so early in the purchase process.
The purpose (from Tesla's point of view) is to get reasonably reliable information about the parts and labor which will be needed for future production. A non-refundable deposit makes it clear.

Same vehicle, slightly different options is not a major difference. But changing vehicle type itself, which are made on different lines with somewhat different parts, is too big a change and violates the goal. So cancelling is expensive.

Scary being an adult and making decisions, just think your about to make a decision to order another brand of car based on your inability to order the correct car from the company you obviously found to be superior to the brand you are moving to. Who’s the real loser here?

That is one dumb a$$ policy. I just cannot understand why the company would not allow an order change within a reasonable amount of time to take care of these types of mistakes. Just terrible customer service.