Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

stupid question but do all tesla model x have ludicrous mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only the performance versions will have Ludicrous Mode, which will be denoted by the underline on the right-rear badge, which will also appear on your cabin screens. No underline means Insane Mode, which is slightly less Ludicrous. Example of a Ludicrous badge: P100D

Luda plus, I am told, refers to having the battery all nice a warm, ready for a crazy launch. Max current for hard acceleration. When you tap Luda Plus you should see a warning about battery and motor stress. If you OK that, then under the Menu > Driving > Acceleration Mode you will find out whether the battery is ready, or about how much time you need to wait for it to properly heat up.

However,
if you go into drag strip Launch Mode, the need for a warm battery is overridden and you get all available power.

also

so does all 2017 models have it?

No, most 2017 performance cars will not have it. In 2017, Ludicrous was way more expensive ($20,000 I think) than regular performance.

In the first half of 2019, it became a free option for 2nd time Tesla buyers, but still $$$ for first time Tesla buyers. Then in the 2nd half of 2019 it was included on all newly produced performance cars.

No, most 2017 performance cars will not have it. In 2017, Ludicrous was way more expensive ($20,000 I think) than regular performance.

In the first half of 2019, it became a free option for 2nd time Tesla buyers, but still $$$ for first time Tesla buyers. Then in the 2nd half of 2019 it was included on all newly produced performance cars.
2018?

Never noticed the underline under my P100D until this thread. That being said, I had some work done in the area and the badge might have ben replaced?

I say that because my vehicle is March 2017 P100D with Ludicrous+ mode, not 2018.

I'm thinking of adding another underline or a chevron to see if the computer recognizes it and upgrades to "Maximum Plaid".

;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Saghost
No. I have a performance without Ludicrous. it was a 10,000 option for my car, and could have been added after purchase for a while. That upgrade is no longer available.
It’s still available, but it’s 20k now. I have a 19’ Raven Performance X. Missed it being included by a couple weeks. Recently tried to see if They would add it for me now, they said yes but it’s still a 20k charge to turn it on.

It’s still available, but it’s 20k now. I have a 19’ Raven Performance X. Missed it being included by a couple weeks. Recently tried to see if They would add it for me now, they said yes but it’s still a 20k charge to turn it on.

$20k is a bit much, but there is nothing like acceleration that makes the blood rush out of your face. Only my old 1967 GTO with a worked engine and blower and Strange Engineering rear axle came close. I’m certainly happy with my purchase in 2017.

Best,

T

do all tesla model x p100d 2017 have ludicrous mode enabled

I just realized that you might be asking because you want to buy a used Tesla X.

If you buy from Tesla, they turn all options off, and they need to be repurchased even if originally were part of first owner's purchase. That means if the vehicle was purchased with FSD and Ludicrous, Tesla will turn that software and make the new owner repurchase it. :/

If you buy from a private person, all options remain as originally purchased and you need only transfer ownership information to yourself.

I think what Tesla is doing is double dipping and should be considered unethical and perhaps not entirely legal. IMHO, and I'm not a lawyer.

P.S. - I found my original bill of sale and "window sticker", and it is kinda fun to see all options were purchased. If I upgrade and/or sell the vehicle back to Tesla, I will post my VIN and a copy of what was purchased. In that way Tesla will have a harder time making the new owner re-purchase what is essentially a previously purchased software upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I just realized that you might be asking because you want to buy a used Tesla X.

If you buy from Tesla, they turn all options off, and they need to be repurchased even if originally were part of first owner's purchase. That means if the vehicle was purchased with FSD and Ludicrous, Tesla will turn that software and make the new owner repurchase it. :/

This is inaccurate.

There have only been a few cases of new owners indicating that Tesla removed software and made them repurchase it. For instance, when I purchased my MX, the previous owner didn't have AP, or Ludicrous mode activated. When they traded it in, Tesla actually activated both features before it was listed online (only know this because I know the SC Manager where I picked mine up from).

This is inaccurate.

There have only been a few cases of new owners indicating that Tesla removed software and made them repurchase it. For instance, when I purchased my MX, the previous owner didn't have AP, or Ludicrous mode activated. When they traded it in, Tesla actually activated both features before it was listed online (only know this because I know the SC Manager where I picked mine up from).
Just wondering, Do you think the price would have been cheaper had they not? Or would they have still charged the same price.