TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Stupid Question - Does the M3 have a security alarm?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by MX1000, Jun 8, 2018.

1. MX1000

MX1000 Member

I know that there's GPS and all but if the car was broken into or vandalized the car, most basic security car alarm would sound. I can't seem to see where there is this feature in the M3. If not, I am really surprised as it would be nice to have it sound an alarm but also with the phone app, it could certainly notify through an alert as well. Am I missing this or something?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Yes it has an alarm. It’s in the security settings screen. Mine went off while I was out of the car at a supercharger (with my phone in my pocket) and my wife opened the door. Couldn’t figure out how to turn it off— I needed to tap the brake.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Do you get a notification on the app when the alarm goes off?

4. animorph

animorph Active Member

Exactly what I did to my wife in the X.

I don't remember getting a phone notification, but I assume I did. Try it out...

5. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I verified the iPhone app has an option to be notified if the alarm goes off. My kid is asleep so I don't want to try right now. I'll have to remember to try tomorrow.

• Funny x 1
  6. MX1000

MX1000 Member

I see the settings now on the security and the notification on the app. I was trying to test it but not sure how I can get the alarm to go off. If someone is sitting in the car and has the card key, then the car won't lock. If no one is there, it will lock and I assume it will arm itself. I tried bumping the car slightly but no alarm. So is there an easy way to test it?

7. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

I don't think a bump will set it off. AFAIK, alarm will only trip if doors open while locked.

8. Troy916

Troy916 Member

Now You Know youtube channel has a video about the alarm on the model 3

9. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

Why is it disabled by default?

• Like x 1