Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid question thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping to use this thread to encourage folks to ask their "stupid" questions. So here's mine:
Does a Tesla weigh more when it's fully charged? I know it shouldn't but just wanted to throw it out there.
So please fire your stupid questions away.

I was hoping to use this thread to encourage folks to ask their "stupid" questions. So here's mine:
Does a Tesla weigh more when it's fully charged? I know it shouldn't but just wanted to throw it out there.
So please fire your stupid questions away.

You're not adding electrons when you charge. You're just using electricity to move ions from one side of the battery to the other. Almost like winding up a toy wind-up car. No weight is added.

You're not adding electrons when you charge. You're just using electricity to move ions from one side of the battery to the other. Almost like winding up a toy wind-up car. No weight is added.

I once knew someone who would fill their ICE car half full because he didn't want to add the extra weight of the gasoline. I should ask him to get a Tesla to avoid that problem now, lol

I always suspected that that huge slab under the car was really just a giant wind-up spring. That explains the electric motor sounds that I hear sometimes when I'm charging the car...they're actually just winding up the spring. Right? o_O

I always suspected that that huge slab under the car was really just a giant wind-up spring. That explains the electric motor sounds that I hear sometimes when I'm charging the car...they're actually just winding up the spring. Right? o_O

I'm not convinced that a commercially viable wind up car is not feasible. Instead of charging a battery with electricity, why not use an external electric motor to wind it up? You can also have regen, winding it while slowing down. It would probably be dangerous having all of that potential energy sitting there wound-up though. If that mechanism were to fail, it could be catastrophic.

I'm not convinced that a commercially viable wind up car is not feasible. Instead of charging a battery with electricity, why not use an external electric motor to wind it up? You can also have regen, winding it while slowing down. It would probably be dangerous having all of that potential energy sitting there wound-up though. If that mechanism were to fail, it could be catastrophic.
Leonardo da Vinci designed a wind up car
- first self-propelled vehicle in history, and.... programmable auto-steering!
- downside: only 40m range

A spinning inertial wheel is another approach. Not so good: the gyroscopic effect on handling. :eek: However, I understand that an inertial wheel is used somewhere in Europe for a cable car that goes up and down a steep hill. Makes sense for that application. Maybe they also considered a wind-up spring too....especially if it was in Switzerland.

A spinning inertial wheel is another approach. Not so good: the gyroscopic effect on handling. :eek: However, I understand that an inertial wheel is used somewhere in Europe for a cable car that goes up and down a steep hill. Makes sense for that application. Maybe they also considered a wind-up spring too....especially if it was in Switzerland.

While I do not know the precise mechanism for the cars to go up and down the mountain, if they are somehow counterbalanced, this would be a funicular. One of those words one learns in junior high school that one never forgets, even 50 years later.

While I do not know the precise mechanism for the cars to go up and down the mountain, if they are somehow counterbalanced, this would be a funicular. One of those words one learns in junior high school that one never forgets, even 50 years later.
Angels Flight always comes to mind when I hear "funicular":

800px-AngelsFlight.jpg