Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid questions…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2021 Y LR with AB. Everything else is stock. Looking at upgrading tires and have narrowed it down to either DWS06+ Or Pilot Sport SA4. Just wondering if staggered tires on the stock 19x9.5 rims makes sense or just plain silly. I would keep stock size up front 255/45r19 and 285/40r19 rear. Would these even fit? Total diameter remains the same and circumference is close enough. Does anyone stagger a LR? Would you have to get different rims on the back to do this properly? Searched these forums and couldn’t find anyone mention this.

From another thread the stock size in AS4 look narrow. I’d get the 270/40 size instead. I also looked at the 280/40 (or 285?) but it may look super fat.

It won’t look good especially compared to going to actual staggered rims.

From another thread the stock size in AS4 look narrow. I’d get the 270/40 size instead. I also looked at the 280/40 (or 285?) but it may look super fat.

It won’t look good especially compared to going to actual staggered rims.
270/40r19 would create different diameter and circumference. From what I’ve researched, you need to keep these within 1%.
Couldn’t find 280/40 tires, but again diameter/circumference would be off.
It would look strange haha im just wondering if theres a benefit.

I have a MYP and went to a square setup for winter tires, square setup is better for a number of reasons that you can research online (tire rotation, better limit handling on the Y). I don't know why you would want to go staggered? Don't get me wrong or let me dissuade you, just my 2 cents.

I have a MYP and went to a square setup for winter tires, square setup is better for a number of reasons that you can research online (tire rotation, better limit handling on the Y). I don't know why you would want to go staggered? Don't get me wrong or let me dissuade you, just my 2 cents.
My assumption is that a MYP’s factory staggered setup helps it accelerate and corner better. Course that come with a hit to efficient and range. So I wonder if i staggering the LR would do the same to it. Two reason here, the rear wheel bias and when you punch it and all the weight goes to the back wheels. So wider rear tires should help in theory at least. This logic wouldn’t work on a normal ICE car unless it has the same torque off the line that a tesla has.

My assumption is that a MYP’s factory staggered setup helps it accelerate and corner better. Course that come with a hit to efficient and range. So I wonder if i staggering the LR would do the same to it. Two reason here, the rear wheel bias and when you punch it and all the weight goes to the back wheels. So wider rear tires should help in theory at least. This logic wouldn’t work on a normal ICE car unless it has the same torque off the line that a tesla has.
If you read/watch some of the track test reviews many of them say it would handle better with a square setup because the way it is setup makes it push (understeer) way too much into the corners.

I watched this one and he says you’d need a high horse power car with a lot of torque such as a tesla to overcome the negative affects of such a stance. Heavier wheels, more friction etc. another negative is no rotating tires so high cost to outfit, but who cares, I need the extra grip Haha. Be curious of other vids/blogs others have watched/read.