Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sub 3 seconds for Model 3 DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not going to happen, even if they could make it sub 3secs. Tesla is not going to Osborne their S. Musk said the S and X will always have the most high tech cutting edge features. The 3 will be easy to build, not tinkering with more and more features like they do with the S and X.
No tinkering involved... it's already proven tech. If it can be mass produced in a cost effective manner then it will find it's way to the Model 3.

Not going to happen, even if they could make it sub 3secs. Tesla is not going to Osborne their S. Musk said the S and X will always have the most high tech cutting edge features. The 3 will be easy to build, not tinkering with more and more features like they do with the S and X.
The MS doesn't have a "spaceship type feel". The M3 is supposed to according to Elon. Right?

Last edited:
My guess is we would be seeing a Ludicrous M3 at low 3s initially. They have to leave *some* room for improvement for future upgrades. :)

And I'm not saying I hope they limit performance of the M3, but low 3s is fantastical performance for any car of any price range. They don't need to prove anything at that point.

My guess is we would be seeing a Ludicrous M3 at low 3s initially. They have to leave *some* room for improvement for future upgrades. :)

And I'm not saying I hope they limit performance of the M3, but low 3s is fantastical performance for any car of any price range. They don't need to prove anything at that point.
This is how I think of it.

A year from now the 100D will be OLD news. It will be proven in. There might even be a 120D by then...who knows. For those who believe that the M3 absolutely must be behind the MS in quality/performance and everything.... I feel that 100D will certainly be an option AND trail the MS at the same time.

Not going to happen. They won't Osborne their S and X sales.
The competition of the M3 is not the MS or MX.

The competition with the M≡ is Audi, BMW, Porsche and such.

I can't imagine Tesla saying "yeah...we could out perform/out pace / out sell the Audi A3, Bmw M3 ..etc... however we have this internal rule that says that the M≡ MUST suck because ......".

There could only be one option for investors at that point.

Reactions: garsh and JeffK

What he said was "The Model S and the X are always going to be our technology leader. We’re not intentionally trying to withhold technology from the 3 but rather because it’s fundamentally more expensive when you have new technology until you can do multiple design iterations and achieve economies of scale."

So, yes, once the technology and software has been tested and proven in the MS and MX it will almost certainly find its way to the M3 eventually.

Note... thinking about it more, I'm thinking the upper end is more likely 65 kWh, or 488 hp, and getting about 2.9 or 3.

It is going to be 3, isn't it, or some Elon humour like 3.14.

Battery-power... they stated last year that they were aiming for a 30% smaller car. So that gives an initial max of 70kWh assuming the bigger format cells can be packed & cooled as efficiently as the new 100 battery.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectroFroggy
I have no fear that they will artificially limit the quickness of the Model 3 in software. If it is slower than the S, it will be because of the requirements of the design - battery, wiring, motors, etc - that it needs to achieve high volume and keep costs down. It's all academic for me anyway; I will be getting the largest battery for range but I have no interest in a high-performance Ludicrous variant. Even the bargain-basement stock version will be far quicker than anything I've ever owned, and I have no desire to race anyone.

They won't Osborne their S and X sales.
You might want to check out the definition of the Osborne effect if you're going to throw it around so much (incorrectly).
Osborne effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you're looking for is
Market Cannibalization Definition | Investopedia

Tesla stands to make a lot more money with the Model 3 in volume so I highly doubt they'd cripple the Model 3. The buyers for the Model S are a totally different market than the Model 3.

I have no fear that they will artificially limit the quickness of the Model 3 in software. If it is slower than the S, it will be because of the requirements of the design - battery, wiring, motors, etc - that it needs to achieve high volume and keep costs down. It's all academic for me anyway; I will be getting the largest battery for range but I have no interest in a high-performance Ludicrous variant. Even the bargain-basement stock version will be far quicker than anything I've ever owned, and I have no desire to race anyone.
Understood, but leave room for those of us who live and breath ludicrous.

I believe it would be best to have it an not use it than to not have it available at all.

If anyone wants to drive it in valet mode...that's fine with me.

Reactions: Neohippy
You might want to check out the definition of the Osborne effect if you're going to throw it around so much (incorrectly).
Osborne effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you're looking for is
Market Cannibalization Definition | Investopedia

Tesla stands to make a lot more money with the Model 3 in volume so I highly doubt they'd cripple the Model 3. The buyers for the Model S are a totally different market than the Model 3.
Excellent point about they making so much more money with the M3.

Jeff, thanks for that correction!

So now the question to me is, with the Model 3 PxxD Ludicrous be quicker than the Model S PxxxD Ludicrous? One might assume it would be since the 3 will be lighter, but Tesla could software limit the output to keep it slower.
Do you have me on ignore or something?

Everyone...how can you tell if someone is ignoring you? ( I'm ready for the jokes )

That's the wrost article i've ever seen on electrek, if you read the comment on other articles they are going to try the deal on the bolt, yes, of course someone will go to model 3, but again, this is just that they want an EV. the vast majority of people in that deal wanted a LOW COST car, and the Model 3 isn't, they were ok if they get a huge discount, hell i would be ok too if they gave me 10k for free. you can even sell the car after 2 years and don't get depreciated!