Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sub 3 seconds for Model 3 DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mass is mass... you can't fight physics.
Given the same voltage, current, and motors, the Model 3 will always beat the Model S. Battery capacity has nothing to do with it as long as there's adequate cooling and they are still well below max C.
What do you mean battery capacity?
Are you saying it doesn't matter whether it's a 60kw or 100kw battery for output purposes?

They managed 0.3 second improvement in the P90DL to P100DL
I don't get your point, as said, it's not linear, another 0.3 will not obtained with just 10% more battery, it will probably need a 35% more battery, and from 2.2 to 2.0 probably another 30% ( on top of the 35% ) etc etc etc
Of course you can half the weight, this will be a huge factor, but it's not going to happend on the model s so easily

Yes, this guy says it's about 2 seconds.

Interesting. I didn't know it would be so low.
All that torque from 0 to absolutely 100% in an instant should have its toll on the tires.
I'm assuming Tesla's have some sort of launch control, right? Otherwise, with the "right" conditions you could burnout from all 4's at once.
I have a feeling Tesla is in an uncharted territory, right now. They are on a verge to create a downright dangerous car, not suitable for everyone. And even if you have the grip, just imagine how uncomfortable would be the G's (granted it's for a couple of seconds) for a 2' 0-60 acceleration.

When I test drove a P85D, just the "passing acceleration" was eye opening. I kept telling in advance when I would floor it to my wife. And even then, she wasn't happy.

(Btw: I was ecstatic)

It is going to be 3, isn't it, or some Elon humour like 3.14.

Battery-power... they stated last year that they were aiming for a 30% smaller car. So that gives an initial max of 70kWh assuming the bigger format cells can be packed & cooled as efficiently as the new 100 battery.
The Model 3 battery area is 83.5% of the Model S, based on my quick calculations of both vehicles' wheelbase x width dimensions, so I see no reason to have an 80kWh battery or even 90kWh with the new 2170 cells

• Informative
Reactions: doubeld
Could be....30-40K or so less than the equivalent model P100 D model S.

I anticipate the model 3 top of the line will be 100-110K with premium stereo, wheels paint etc, and I'm anticipating 110 K.

I would personally pay 100-110K for a Model 3 with model s P100D performance, and i am hoping they can pull it off. My family has 3 reserved. I'll shoot for the top of the line on mine and my son and son in law will probably go for near base models. I'm hoping the model 3 will have the price and performance range for all of us.

Could be....30-40K or so less than the equivalent model P100 D model S.

I anticipate the model 3 top of the line will be 100-110K with premium stereo, wheels paint etc, and I'm anticipating 110 K.

I would personally pay 100-110K for a Model 3 with model s P100D performance, and i am hoping they can pull it off. My family has 3 reserved. I'll shoot for the top of the line on mine and my son and son in law will probably go for near base models. I'm hoping the model 3 will have the price and performance range for all of us.
So you really think a 35k car can become 110k? I don't think that's at all possible. No model of any car made with options is 3X the base price. I can't see the M3 selling for more then 80k. Even at 80k that's very high.

Reactions: scott jones
They are on a verge to create a downright dangerous car, not suitable for everyone. And even if you have the grip, just imagine how uncomfortable would be the G's (granted it's for a couple of seconds) for a 2' 0-60 acceleration.
The G's shouldn't be overwhelming, certainly not enough to be uncomfortable or make anyone pass out. The Top Thrill Dragster hits 0 - 60 in 1.2 seconds and maxes out at 2 G's and it isn't bad at all - makes your eyes water a bit though. Just How Quick are Roller Coasters? - Feature

I think the biggest problem will be people not expecting it and being surprised and possible losing control.

Reactions: andrerodpt
Yes, this guy says it's about 2 seconds.

Using the same method of calculation, assuming a 109ft for 60-0 braking distance (Tesla Model S Reviews and Rating - Motor Trend) for the MS P90DL, we get a 2,47' for 0-60 acceleration.

Assuming also that the braking distance is slightly worse on the P100DL (heavier), I must assume that the 2,5' for 0-60 is theoretically constrained by the tires.
Unless the P100DL gets some stickier tires, in theory it won't get below 2,5'.

Am I thinking wrong?

• Informative
Reactions: doubeld
What do you mean battery capacity?
Are you saying it doesn't matter whether it's a 60kw or 100kw battery for output purposes?
I'm saying that if cooling is adequate you can you can take even a 40 kWh capacity battery and get out 1000-1500 kW of power (see Zombie 222 which can currently do a sub 2 second 0-60mph). He's upgraded the battery but it's not about capacity, it's about power output.

The max a Tesla can currently handle AFAIK is 1500A * 400V = 600 kW

So you really think a 35k car can become 110k? I don't think that's at all possible. No model of any car made with options is 3X the base price. I can't see the M3 selling for more then 80k. Even at 80k that's very high.

100k for a 2.5 s 0-60 mph car?...sign me up. I can't afford the 4.7 million dollar Laferrari alternative without selling a few needed organs. If it is only 80k, it will be back ordered to infinity

Time will tell

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
100k for a 2.5 s 0-60 mph car?...sign me up. I can't afford the 4.7 million dollar Laferrari alternative without selling a few needed organs. If it is only 80k, it will be back ordered to infinity

Time will tell

But when you do it right (think EV), you won't need to spend that amount to access that performance. Tesla or a future competitor will do it quite cheaper than that.

Time will tell

The difference between the base 60 and the base 100D (which includes ludicrous) is a factor of 2.06.

M3: 35,000 x 2.06 = $72k

You could get to ~$90k by ticking all the options...but you don't need to pay that to get the performance you're interested in.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
The difference between the base 60 and the base 100D (which includes ludicrous) is a factor of 2.06.

M3: 35,000 x 2.06 = $72k

You could get to ~$90k by ticking all the options...but you don't need to pay that to get the performance you're interested in.
No way. The M≡ will be cheaper than that. Efficiency and a fully automated assembly process will care for that. Unlike the MS and MX, the M≡ production will be totally automated. Even more importantly - Tesla won't be buying batteries for it - they will be making them about 120 miles away.

I'm saying that if cooling is adequate you can you can take even a 40 kWh capacity battery and get out 1000-1500 kW of power (see Zombie 222 which can currently do a sub 2 second 0-60mph). He's upgraded the battery but it's not about capacity, it's about power output.

The max a Tesla can currently handle AFAIK is 1500A * 400V = 600 kW
Why do you think the P100DL has shaved 0.3 seconds off the P90DL time?

Why do you think the P100DL has shaved 0.3 seconds off the P90DL time?
the P90DL was only ever putting out a little less than 500 kW (the newer models a little more than 500kW the older ones were around 450kW) but the system should theoretically be capable of 600 kW.

That or it's no longer a 400V battery or they're pushing more current (more than 1500A) through the inconel contactor. If more current is allowed then it's possible to go even quicker.