Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sub 5 sec 0-60 time (Speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be an unpopular sentiment, but I really hope it's not any faster than 5.6 sec or so. Let them save that for performance models. It's already going to be faster than most cars on the road. More performance will just push up insurance cost and make it so I won't want to let my kids drive it when they become teenagers.

This is why I think Tesla should implement power controls as part of driver profiles and maybe even a parental control. I, personally, want the fastest model available at a price I can afford. However, if my wife is driving it, it'd be nice to make it use less power. There's a middle ground between valet mode and the simulated lower models where this would be perfect.

Reactions: Lunarx
This is why I think Tesla should implement power controls as part of driver profiles and maybe even a parental control. I, personally, want the fastest model available at a price I can afford. However, if my wife is driving it, it'd be nice to make it use less power. There's a middle ground between valet mode and the simulated lower models where this would be perfect.

I would think this wouldn't be too difficult for Tesla to implement in software, and I would agree my wife would not like the same level of performance that I would appreciated. Also would be handy if you loaned out your car to your children or let a friend drive you home from a party;).

Reactions: JeffK
That sheet also showed the old 5.2 for the Model S. ;)
Improved software has obviously happened as of late. Why couldn't/ wouldn't that apply to the Model 3 too?
I'm not taking a stance one way or the other, just disputing @TEG who said "No, I think that 5.6 time was quoted right at the initial intro, where I guess they hadn't even finished the engineering on the car."

I used to think that these kinds of performance numbers would be dangerous in untrained hands, but I have more faith in all the Tesla drivers who are able to exercise restraint and maintain control. As far as I can tell, the safety/crash data is not bad considering all the people driving around in rocket ships with these capabilities.

I am sure all of the traction and stability control wizardry that Tesla bakes in helps, but people still need to make sure they leave enough braking room, don't overshoot turns, etc.

So that is a roundabout way of saying I hope they don't artificially limit performance, and I don't think they need power reduction controls based on driver profile.
On the other hand, reducing power in valet mode seems prudent to reduce chances of unauthorized joy rides happening.

It's on Tesla's website and shows 2.3-4.3 sec now for the MS

I am guessing / assuming that after the July 28th delivery / "Model 3 reveal part 2" they may update the acceleration specs to show a range. If it ended up being 4.4-5.6 then it would leave all Model S as being quicker.
Maybe they don't talk about the performance / ludicrous version performance right away?

picp.png

I am guessing / assuming that after the July 28th delivery / "Model 3 reveal part 2" they may update the acceleration specs to show a range. If it ended up being 4.4-5.6 then it would leave all Model S as being quicker.
Maybe they don't talk about the performance / ludicrous version performance right away?

View attachment 235326
Agree, I think a range of mid 4 to mid 5sec would cover all the non-P versions for the initial release. They can probably announce the P version next year, maybe a little under 4 sec. That may reduce the demand for the base MS, but hopefully by then the MX volume will continue to ramp, and there will still be plenty of buyers for the P100DL MS, effectively moving MS/MX sales further up-market.

If the slowest Model S is running 4.3, then the base Model 3 needs to be around 4.7 to 4.9 0-60. A noticeable bit slower, yet still nice and quick for every day driving leadfoots like me. No excuse for the 3 to run 5.anything 0-60.
If the model 3 is lighter, yeah, it certainly should be at least as fast as the S. Unless of course Tesla does not use the same speced motor as the S.

• Helpful
The Tesla update that made the cars faster proved that the motor itself is not the main concern. This is not a gas engine. The update changed the programming in the motor controller, allowing it to dump more amps to the motor for more acceleration. Not much different than putting a turbo or nitrous kit on a gas engine.

The Model 3 might come in a couple hundred pounds lighter, but not by as much as most people seem to think. I'll be surprised if the car itself is under 4000 pounds.

• Helpful
I will
5.6 is a bit weaksauce and unimpressive, considering the bigger, heavier S goes mid 4's.

My 2011 Challenger R/T does 5.1 to 5.2 0-60, my personal best is 5.14 with the in dash 0-60 performance timer.

So the 3 should be able to pound out 5.0's with no problem. 5.3 at the slowest.

Remember, every time we leave hard on some broke wanna-be boy racer in his fart piped Honda Civic at a stoplight, we are speaking for all Tesla EVs. We can't go losing races unless the other car is really built. Running the same 0-60 as a BMW isn't good enough. The 3 has to be BETTER.

Power needs power density from the battery, and power electronics.
Both of those add cost and weight.

So, yes there are reasons to keep the base model at a respectable 5.6, which will give premium segment performance over a decent range of speeds.

And I echo another post which said that limiting performance will help keep insurance costs down.

The Tesla update that made the cars faster proved that the motor itself is not the main concern. This is not a gas engine. The update changed the programming in the motor controller, allowing it to dump more amps to the motor for more acceleration. Not much different than putting a turbo or nitrous kit on a gas engine.

The Model 3 might come in a couple hundred pounds lighter, but not by as much as most people seem to think. I'll be surprised if the car itself is under 4000 pounds.
I thought the update included changes to the motor, which is why only new Tesla’s are faster. It’s not just software.

Then be prepared to be surprised.
Model 3 75D will weigh around 3700 pounds.
The base 60 3400

Book it

• Helpful
Everyone is expecting something a little more because that's what Tesla does. What'd be useful is to know for 0-60 times is what hardware they are putting in it? Like how are the motor and inverter rated? How much does it actually cost Tesla to equip a car with X HP?

It won't take long until someone brings one to a tuning shop and puts it on a dyno. After the reveal event, I suspect that wouldn't violate the NDA.