TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sub panel option

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by shiz, Jul 20, 2018.

1. shiz

shiz Member

Preparing for my first EV, Tesla. What would be the pros and cons of getting a 200amp subpanel to my garage as opposed to 100amp? I do plan to get a HPWC installed on the inside of garage.

For future proofing, If I end up with two EV years later, would it be unwise to have another HPWC on the outside? Does extreme heat have any affect on the cables during charging?

2. albtrssp

albtrssp Member

200 amps seems to me like it'd be overkill. If you're charging overnight, you won't need to have both of the charging at the same time; the HPWCs will trade off so they're charging one at a time. The cable needed for 100A is already massive (or at least it was for my house, which needed a 50 foot run)

• Like x 1
  3. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Bigger issue is can your main panel stand to have 200A pulled from just the garage when something like the air conditioner comes on. How large is your electrical service from the utility?

4. SSedan

SSedan Member

Run 90-100amps to the wall connector, add additional wall connectors to said circuit later if warranted, they can share the 100amp service. Might have some sort of box installed now to facilitate moreconnections later bit it does not need to be a breaker box.