Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sub Zero Package -- Is it a must in cold winter climates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you really want a heated steering wheel and rear seats, then sure. It would be an extremely high priority for me, but I also wound up buying a used S many years ago w/o subzero (despite really wanting it), because I found a fantastic deal that "checked all the other boxes". Now I have a 3 instead, which has the rear heated seats but not the steering wheel (boo).

I have it. Is it a must? 100% no, IMO.

Do I enjoy it? Not really, but my wife and kids LOVE it. They would tell you it is 100% a must. My point is that I think the answer is personal to you and what you value. For me, I would rather have perforated cooling seats, than heated seats (which I never use).

Reactions: Sorabh
I have it on my MS 2015 85D. Did not really need a heated steering wheel and heated front window, but if you routinely have rear passengers ie kids, the rear seats really help. You have to remember this electric car does not generate much passive heat into the cabin. Also, the heated airflow into the rear seating area is not that great, you have to turn up the fan. I have a heated garage and Vancouver weather, so my car is never cold soaked. Two cars side by side, my wife and son will always pick the sub zero package.
You can always preheat car, it is a 1st world problem...

In my opinion, yes. I use the heated seats and steering wheel, and dial down the heat to 18 or 19. Comfy, and it increases range. Passengers in rear seats really like it, too. I won't buy a car without heated seats now.
Personal choice - It's nice to have it

Brr. I have mine set to 22 degrees and the seat warmer on lol

Well.....I spent 5 years in Winnipeg, as a kid. My Mom had a 65 VW Bug - with no gas heater - so 18 or 19 is darn near banana belt temperature for me.

It'll depend on how you get around but yes, you should consider it if driving in cold weather. For me, it's a deal breaker. If you tend to do ad-hoc drives without time to preheat the car then it's invaluable. I find that when the temperature plummets, having the heated seat and steering wheel cuts down on the amount of time you need to preheat. If you get cold hands at time, the steering wheel is a good way to help that.

Now, that's not all that's included - there's heated cameras, side view mirrors, wipers and washer nozzles. Tesla Features Explained: Subzero Weather Package

Reactions: corlaandstan
I live in rural, Northern Ontario. We've been down to -32 C lately, this past week was warmer, and we're supposed to plunge back down next week. I have heated seats only in the front on my 3 SR+. The kids want the rear heated seats, but they will complain regardless of what/where they're sitting. I don't wish for a heated steering wheel, I find with climate control you can point the heat towards your hand if really needed. I've had absolutely no complaints about the cold weather impacts, other than the obvious range reduction.