Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sub Zero package required when going to Tahoe or colder place? 3 days left

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
again it's me, the always hesitating guy.

My daily drive is at bay area. I don't really think I need a sub zero package.
For the cold steering wheel, I can covered it with a $30 fake-leather cover. (I won't forget one night in Jan 2011 I parked my Corolla outside overnight and the next day I just couldn't hold the wheel. My left hand and right hand held it in turn every 30 seconds for driving).

But do you think I actually need the sub zero package if I want to go skiing during the winter? I spend so much on the car and I want to utilized it (and the unlimited super charge) as much as possible in its life span.
I think I can pre-heat the whole cabin with my phone APP 10 min before I enter the car?

What do you say according to your experience?

I would get it again. I also live in the Bay Area and go up to Tahoe, and love it for these reasons:

- Seat heaters for everyone is really luxurious AND more energy efficient than running the heat, which is nice in low battery situations.
- Heated steering wheel is really really nice especially when my hands are sore from driving.
- No-one enjoys frozen windshield washer jets when the freeway is slushy/muddy and cars around you are throwing up junk all over your windshield.

Wish I had it the first cold snap with sub zero temps here in DC. All was fine when the car was starting in a closed garage, but after sitting outside all day at work, wow was that steering wheel cold for the entire trip home. I would pay for it next time, but gloves might have worked for less money :). Seat heaters are great, so if you want to be gracious to passengers on these cold starts then there is that too.

I'd skip it. I have it in mine and people keep on inadvertently turing on seat heat on hot summer days. If I lived in Alaska, Canada, Russia or Norway I'd probably get it. But I don't and neither do you. The odd ski trip will do fine with steering wheel cover and/or gloves.

I would get it again. I also live in the Bay Area and go up to Tahoe, and love it for these reasons:

- Seat heaters for everyone is really luxurious AND more energy efficient than running the heat, which is nice in low battery situations.
- Heated steering wheel is really really nice especially when my hands are sore from driving.
- No-one enjoys frozen windshield washer jets when the freeway is slushy/muddy and cars around you are throwing up junk all over your windshield.
Agreed! I live in Colorado and love the heated steering wheel

Reactions: GSP
Hi guys,
again it's me, the always hesitating guy.

My daily drive is at bay area. I don't really think I need a sub zero package.
For the cold steering wheel, I can covered it with a $30 fake-leather cover. (I won't forget one night in Jan 2011 I parked my Corolla outside overnight and the next day I just couldn't hold the wheel. My left hand and right hand held it in turn every 30 seconds for driving).

But do you think I actually need the sub zero package if I want to go skiing during the winter? I spend so much on the car and I want to utilized it (and the unlimited super charge) as much as possible in its life span.
I think I can pre-heat the whole cabin with my phone APP 10 min before I enter the car?

Need is a strong word.
I live at Tahoe and the cold weather package is extremely useful. The heated steering wheel is the best feature of the car. My wife loves it.
That said, if you are only coming up occasionally, you may not use it a lot. But the heated steering wheel could get a lot of use on chilly bay area mornings. It is just really nice.

I would get it again. Heated wipers really help when it's freezing outside. Only thing I didn't like that the heated wipers turn off after some time and I start getting ice build-up on the wipers. Then they smear everything up without wiping correctly. Once heater is on again it helps quite a lot in keeping the wipers and windshield clean

I think it's worth it, especially if you have passengers in the rear. My friend used to have a Ford Fusion with heated front seats. In the winter, the people up front were nice and toasty while I would be freezing in the back because they had heated seats turned on. If you don't get it, consider getting an electric blanket for the rest passengers!

We have Subzero in both Teslas. It's one of the best priced options IMHO.

I live in the SF Bay Area and I ordered it for a couple of reasons:

- "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" (the temps don't get that low, but the daily swing of temperatures can lead to more frequent cases of being under-dressed for the evening temps)

- A wide discrepancy in "who is hot and who is cold" amongst my friends.

- Hearing people say "Oooh, butt warmers! Yes, please!" when they ride with me. It doesn't have to be freezing outside to appreciate a nice toasty seat.

If it's a question I would say skip it. NY only gets really , really cold in short bursts throughout the winter. While this is only my first winter in NY with my S , I have not felt a need for it. The car heats up much faster than an ICE auto-start . I leave for work at 5:00 A.M. and pre-heat for less than 10 minutes for a nice,toasty ride :) Just a reminder: The front seats are heated whether or not you get the sub-zero.

We choose to get it on our first X and choose not to the second time around.
We did one ski trip with the first X least winter but it didn't snow... We didn't use any of the Sub-Zero features.
We've taken our second X to Tahoe twice this ski season including 2 his driving in heavy snowfall... Did not miss the Sub-Zero package at all.
  • The backseat has kids in boosters so the extra seat warmers wouldn't do anything.
  • We preheated the car anyway, so we didn't use the front ones that we had and we didn't miss the steering wheel heater.
  • Due to preheat of the car the wipers wiped away the melting snow easily
The only issue we had was the mirrors didn't unfold when we got to the car due to too much snow... But I don't think the Sub-Zero package would have helped with that.
My conclusion... Preheat the car and you won't miss it.
If you use a vacation rental with a hpwc or 14-50 in Tahoe with a garage then life is even easier

Reactions: acarlos1000