TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Subaru to introduce all-electric crossover by 2021, report says

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by RobStark, Aug 11, 2016.

1. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Los Angeles

TOKYO -- Subaru plans to launch an all-wheel-drive electric crossover in the U.S. by 2021 to meet more stringent emissions regulations, a Japanese newspaper reported.

The Japanese brand aims to release a midsize awd vehicle based on its Forester or Outback crossover, Japan’s Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun reported Aug. 8, without identifying the source of the information.

But if Subaru does introduce such a product, it would likely use the new platform and target the North America market, Saito said.

The new platform, dubbed the Subaru Global Platform, will underpin all of the brand’s nameplates going forward. It is designed to accommodate gasoline, hybrid, plug-in hybrid and all-electric drivetrains.

With a lineup heavy in awd crossovers, Subaru is trying to boost fuel efficiency to meet increasingly demanding regulations in the United States, its biggest market.

The company has already disclosed plans to introduce its first plug-in hybrid to meet U.S. zero emissions vehicle regulations that take effect in 2018.

Subaru to introduce all-electric crossover by 2021, report says
    • Informative x 5
    • Like x 1
  2. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Welcome to the market Subaru. Sure did wish you'd noticed how big of an engineering deal it is to make a battery electric platform, instead of cramming EV parts into a gas platform (excuse me - unified global platform).
    • Like x 2
  3. Kenypowa

Kenypowa Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Calgary, AB
    This is interesting. Subaru builds excellent cars such as the Forester (I love mine) and Outback. An electric car with off-road capability of the Forester/Outback would be an appealing choice.

Of course, Tesla cars have superchargers and autopilot which no one else has.
  4. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Imagine if Subaru became the first manufacturer to take advantage of Tesla's offer to share Supercharging access? Pay-as-you go would make great sense for Subaru. It might change my (tentative) plans to replace our 2016 Outback with a Model Y down the road. Subaru doesn't have the money or technical resources of the bigger players, so why reinvent something that has already been shown to be highly effective (Supercharging) and add a little bit of prestige to the Subaru brand through association with Tesla, even if just sharing charging tech?
  5. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Bangor, ME
    Subaru did some early work with selling Kei-class EV's (Stella EV), and showed a PHEV concept years and years ago, but sadly they've been playing the delay game for about a decade now.

Plans are nice. Lets see what they actually do.

(I loved my Forester too, aside from the gas mileage).
  6. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Whenever these announcements are made I like to contextualize the date by using my children's scholastic progress. In this case, Subaru will, at the earliest, have a BEV when my youngest enters 2nd grade (he starts preschool this fall).

That's a really long time, and I wonder how much progress the BEV market will have made by then.