Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Submit a 12 volt software suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should add a 12 volt battery type button (Lead Acid, AGM, EFB, Lion) to the service menu just like the tire size button in the TPMS menu. If Tesla can change the charging characteristics vis software update, a change like this should be doable. This would eliminate many unnecessary service calls and open aftermarket 12 volt battery types for replacements. Submit a bug report using the right scroll wheel and say "Bug Report add 12 volt Battery button to service menu".

Submit a bug report using the right scroll wheel and say "Bug Report add 12 volt Battery button to service menu".

That will do nothing, since those bug reports do not go anywhere at all, they stay local to the car. They are only used for troubleshooting for a SC / other service personnel if you take your car for service and say "XXX happened and I did a bug report"

It basically puts a marker in the cars internal log file. Telling people to submit a bug report for a feature is misguided, since it doesnt go anywhere.

I also personally dont think any manufacturer has any duty at all to make it "easier" to use aftermarket parts, so Tesla's duty in this is to do everything they can to extend the life of the parts they chose as OEM ones. They have no duty to make it easier to use aftermarket electrical parts.

The only service calls it would eliminate would be from people who have aftermarket batteries, and people with aftermarket batteries are not covered by warranty for that, so I doubt it changes their actually service calls much.

They dont have any duty to make it easier to use an Ohmmu (or any other 3rd party battery).

That will do nothing, since those bug reports do not go anywhere at all, they stay local to the car. They are only used for troubleshooting for a SC / other service personnel if you take your car for service and say "XXX happened and I did a bug report"

It basically puts a marker in the cars internal log file. Telling people to submit a bug report for a feature is misguided, since it doesnt go anywhere.

I also personally dont think any manufacturer has any duty at all to make it "easier" to use aftermarket parts, so Tesla's duty in this is to do everything they can to extend the life of the parts they chose as OEM ones. They have no duty to make it easier to use aftermarket electrical parts.

The only service calls it would eliminate would be from people who have aftermarket batteries, and people with aftermarket batteries are not covered by warranty for that, so I doubt it changes their actually service calls much.

They dont have any duty to make it easier to use an Ohmmu (or any other 3rd party battery).
OK, if Bug Reports only stay with the vehicle (in which case I don't know the value of doing them for software related issues), how would one contact Tesla? I could submit to the FSB beta team to direct to the right place but there must be a regular contact address.

OK, if Bug Reports only stay with the vehicle (in which case I don't know the value of doing them for software related issues), how would one contact Tesla? I could submit to the FSB beta team to direct to the right place but there must be a regular contact address.
From the Model 3 Owners Manual "You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" (in the English language) followed by brief comments in your language of choice. Model 3takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model 3."

They may not have a "duty" to make it easier for aftermarket parts but there is a finite number of Model 3/Y's that have the 12 Volt AtlasBX battery and how many more years will Tesla support without alternatives. A software change would allow that flexibility.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
From the Model 3 Owners Manual "You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" (in the English language) followed by brief comments in your language of choice. Model 3takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model 3."

They may not have a "duty" to make it easier for aftermarket parts but there is a finite number of Model 3/Y's that have the 12 Volt AtlasBX battery and how many more years will Tesla support without alternatives. A software change would allow that flexibility.

Those reports stay local to the car, unless there is some reason for the car to upload them somewhere (like if you are in the FSD beta or something). This has been verified by several service center employees I have talked to, and not just by myself.

My model 3 has the OEM battery you are talking about, and the number of people who will say "Oh yeah I want to pay $439 for a battery instead of $85" (regardless of whatever perceived benefits) is not large enough for tesla to need to make firmware changes to enable it (my own personal opinion of course).

There may be reasons to go aftermarket for the battery, but the main one that people choose to buy aftermarket anything for (price) does not exist here.

Reactions: smatthew
Yeah the only time anyone looks at a bug report is if you open a service ticket.

It serves to take a local snapshot they can reference for diagnosing a problem related to the service ticket.

it's not a suggestion box, and doesn't go to anybody unless during the service ticket process the tech needs to escalate an issue he can't fix.... which I certainly wouldn't expect to happen for a 3rd party piece of HW Tesla has no reason to support.

Not to mention adding such a feature creates more headaches for Tesla, not less.

It tacitly endorses non-OEM technology that they have had no involvement in testing or qualifying being fitted to their cars. Someone buys a car with a third-party battery installed, or fits it themselves, notes that Tesla "support" it via the UI allowing you to choose it, and quite legitimately go to Tesla when something goes wrong. "Why does Tesla let you choose what battery type you've got then?", etc.

It is also a waste of development time & effort supporting non-OEM equipment. Tesla don't benefit financially from it, so they have nothing to gain and - as noted above - more to lose just in officially accommodating it in support query headaches, etc.

The only way things like Ohmmu can work, replacing something that is part of a managed system (unlike something "dumb" like, say, aftermarket alloy wheels) is if that system doesn't "know" it's there. As soon as the car suspects something is wrong with the auxiliary battery, because it's responding in an unexpected way, then the car has no other choice but to assume the lead-acid battery it thinks is there is faulty and flag warnings appropriately.

The fact this has happened several times with Ohmmu batteries isn't - I think - malice on Tesla's part, rather that the auxiliary battery maintenance system is opaque, not trivial and subject to change at any point in much the same way as Tesla tweaks efuse blow limits and VCLeft/VCRight behaviour without warning or agreement.

Ohmmu batteries no doubt work great but you are introducing something to a managed system that does have the very real potential of being "outed" by the car at any given moment, after any update, probably when you least expect or are prepared for it.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Yeah the only time anyone looks at a bug report is if you open a service ticket.

It serves to take a local snapshot they can reference for diagnosing a problem related to the service ticket.

it's not a suggestion box, and doesn't go to anybody unless during the service ticket process the tech needs to escalate an issue he can't fix.... which I certainly wouldn't expect to happen for a 3rd party piece of HW Tesla has no reason to support.
To be fair to OP, there was a time when Tesla reviewed EVERY bug report.

But that was back when every car was hand built......