Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Submitting AP bug report after the fact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning everybody,

Last night my autopilot glitched again on a stretch of road that had confused it once before. I tried submitting a bug report, but got an error during my three attempts to do so. I would normally let it go, but the car tried to leave the roadway at 60 miles an hour intake us into a field, so I would like to get this to people who could use the feedback to make adjustments.

Is there any way to submit a bug report this far after the fact?

On a side note, I'm not upset at the car. Realizing how it tracks lanes, I was expecting this and was ready to take control. Which is good, because it would've been an accident had I not been ready for it. Good times.

I've seen similar issues with the 2019.12.1.2 5c update.

The prior update sorta fixed the off ramp issue when it encountered transition to multiple lane for left and right from the off ramp. Now it is back to freaking out and bouncing across lanes trying to figure out which lane it wants to go into until it either lands in one randomly, fails and screams for help or I override and put the car where I want it.

Supposedly, according to what they said in the autonomy day webcast, cars with HW2.5 have been submitting AP fails for awhile now if you have the share data turned on in your settings.

I drive mostly locally so don’t use AP except for a few times on a long distance highway trip. Was the car driving on Navigate and following directions?

This is more of a fork in the road than an off ramp situation and unless the car was operating following directions I’m not sure what road direction you would expect it to take. So was the car following directions and confused which was to go?

Last edited:
I'm not really seeing the problem - that's the behavior I would expect on that road. The road split into 2, and it wouldn't be clear to a camera based car which way to go. I wouldn't use autopilot on that kind of road myself. I presume you had your hand on the wheel and were ready to take over instantaneously, right? So it's not a car issue, it's a driver issue.

I'm not really seeing the problem - that's the behavior I would expect on that road. The road split into 2, and it wouldn't be clear to a camera based car which way to go. I wouldn't use autopilot on that kind of road myself. I presume you had your hand on the wheel and were ready to take over instantaneously, right? So it's not a car issue, it's a driver issue.
Hard disagree. Lane markers were clear, visibility was non issue, speed was acceptable, AP needs to keep safety as priority number 1 and pick one of the two splits using lane markers or predicted lane bends or both decisively, even if navigation was not on. Inconvenience is one thing (if AP picked the wrong lane), safety is another.

I presume you had your hand on the wheel and were ready to take over instantaneously, right? So it's not a car issue, it's a driver issue.

Yes that's correct, I had both hands on the wheel expecting some confusion with the autopilot. Completely disagree that is not an issue though; had I not reacted in that split second it would've taken me through the sign in front of me, into the field, across the next road, and into the trees.

I don't think that's acceptable for a system like this, but understand the limitations and I'm not upset about it. Had I been in an accident, it would've been my fault, not the car's. But I think this information could go to somebody who should adjust the programming accordingly to prevent this in the future. Hence the thread about submitting this after the fact… Anyone have any ideas?

Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps.

That’s what the manual says.

So Tesla seems to think that Autosteer should not be used here. And I wouldn’t have the stones to use Autosteer on that stretch of road. It looks nothing like a freeway or highway to me — and I still see better than my M3 does.

Maybe HW3

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and TomB985
Yes that's correct, I had both hands on the wheel expecting some confusion with the autopilot. Completely disagree that is not an issue though; had I not reacted in that split second it would've taken me through the sign in front of me, into the field, across the next road, and into the trees.

I don't think that's acceptable for a system like this, but understand the limitations and I'm not upset about it. Had I been in an accident, it would've been my fault, not the car's. But I think this information could go to somebody who should adjust the programming accordingly to prevent this in the future. Hence the thread about submitting this after the fact… Anyone have any ideas?

From what I understood watching the AP software discussion during the Autonomous Day Event presentation this month, when your on AP and take over from it the video is collected to see if the AI can learn from it. That’s assuming your car is set to share driving data with the Mother Ship. At least that’s what I got out of listening to that part of the Event. For certain all accidents are personally reviewed. If you haven’t watched the event might want to give it a view—find it on YouTube.

Last night my autopilot glitched again on a stretch of road that had confused it once before. I tried submitting a bug report, but got an error during my three attempts to do so. I would normally let it go, but the car tried to leave the roadway at 60 miles an hour intake us into a field, so I would like to get this to people who could use the feedback to make adjustments.

Y-intersections are the kryptonite of Tesla's AP.
I have a similar situation, only with a concrete island/divider at the top of the split. My TM3 tries to impale itself on that divider every time.

Is there any way to submit a bug report this far after the fact?

No, not to my knowledge.

There are rumors that some data maybe auto-collected every time you take over manually from AP, but it's not clear if that's true. Either way, you have no way of "going back" to the point in time when you had a "moment", so there is no documented way to submit a report that says "go back to about 30 minutes and see how scary it was".

a