Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Submitting own interconnection application for NEM 2.0 for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order for solar panels last September with Tesla and it's been a headache going back and forth. Every question takes 2 weeks to resolve and have to wait another 2 weeks for another site assessment. Simple questions such as placing panels in front of a window (had to argue that it wasn't an egress window) or putting it on different areas of the roof because they didn't optimally place it the first time have continuously delayed the project. Currently last site assessment for the last issue is on 1/31, so looking at a March install.

At this point I'm almost giving up on Tesla and going with another solar company to be grandfathered in NEM 2.0 if there are any more delays. One Tesla agent responded that they're looking into a method to submit the application prior to install/permit but it hasn't been approved. But, is there a way for me to submit my own interconnection through Sign In to lock in nem 2.0 after the permit is approved? I can also ask the city for a copy of the documents if Tesla is unwilling to provide them

According to the final NEM 3.0 proposal, a valid solar interconnection application includes:
  • Complete application - can do this myself on yourprojects-pge.com
  • Signed contract - can download from tesla website order page
  • Single-line diagram - tesla designs show a 3-line diagram, what's the difference?
  • CSLB Disclosure Document - can download from the tesla website order page
  • Signed consumer protection guide - can download from the tesla website order page
  • Oversizing attestations (if applicable)

Single-line diagram - tesla designs show a 3-line diagram, what's the difference?
The 3-line diagram shows the 3 different circuit conductors (two live and one neutral, for a standard 120/240V split-phase residential service), while the 1-line diagram just coalesces those into a single line on the diagram. You can probably just submit a 3-line diagram in lieu of a 1-line diagram.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: hiltxan
@hiltxan were you able to successfully submit your NEM 2.0 application?
I went with the 3-line diagram approach, still waiting on Tesla to get back to me.
They are saying the application does not have all the "correct information filled in", but still waiting on details.
On the interconnection portal it states the application is still under review.

Tesla ended up submitting it for me before the NEM 2.0 deadline so I never submitted my own. I asked Tesla and PG&E to see their drawings and application but they never released them to me (each pointing fingers at each other saying the other one should release it to the homeowner).

When reading NEM 2.0 FAQs, it seems that there's quite a bit you can modify even after submission. I think the main things that had to be correct were meter number, address, name and kw sizing. I've read that contractors, inverters, panels and other equipment can be switched out later on as long as it doesn't upsize the system. I always thought it made sense - if NEM 2.0 had 3 years to install, who knows what's available in 3 years in terms of discontinued or new products?

Reactions: YRide

It seems like maybe a one time change for like components…but you can’t keep changing things. One time. Not sure I would call that “a lot”.

I’ve wondered about how much changes on the SLD (TLD) are allowed. I believe in most installs they change some wire gauges, relocate equipment, etc. so have to believe they’ll allow small changes. Tesla Project Advisor (i take their “facts” with a grain of salt) had indicated as long as the main breaker to PGE doesn’t change, your OK.

Tesla ended up submitting it for me before the NEM 2.0 deadline so I never submitted my own. I asked Tesla and PG&E to see their drawings and application but they never released them to me (each pointing fingers at each other saying the other one should release it to the homeowner).

When reading NEM 2.0 FAQs, it seems that there's quite a bit you can modify even after submission. I think the main things that had to be correct were meter number, address, name and kw sizing. I've read that contractors, inverters, panels and other equipment can be switched out later on as long as it doesn't upsize the system. I always thought it made sense - if NEM 2.0 had 3 years to install, who knows what's available in 3 years in terms of discontinued or new products?
This is really interesting to me. I started my order around March 27th. Had some minor design changes and that took longer than it should have. Then they literally waited till the last day to submit application. But it was made abundantly clear, I could not make any changes once it was submitted. I thought about deleting one powerwall, but figured I couldn't do it. From what you read, sounds like I should be able to. I wonder if what you read is the utility policy which maybe differs from Tesla's policy? I'm in California and I don't think I've even received approval of the actual plans yet from SCE. I was just notified that SCE received the application in time (before nem 3 cutoff). Tesla stated they estimate install early July. I figure the way things move here, I'll get PTO around Thanksgiving for maximum sun. But back to my point. Sounds like I should be able to omit a powerwall without issue? I possibly may end up just cancelling to see if better offers arise from lack of interest in solar, now that Nem 2 is gone.

If you are trying to go from a number of powerwalls that enables whole home backup, to a number of powerwalls that doesnt, that is likely more change than would be allowed as that would require a different setup (and generally not a minor difference).
Thanks for your response. I'm really not sure what "whole house backup" is. I have a small house and would power everything in the house (except AC) with one or two powerwalls. Bottom line, I don't think I'd be able to change it. I really am considering just losing the $250 and waiting. Or at minimum, postpone till early next year.