Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subpanel in the garage or outside next to the circuit breaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the subpanel need to be in the garage for ev charging, or can it be installed near the circuit breaker outside? I want to install some shelving in the garage, but will need to allow space for a subpanel if it needs to be in the garage. My circuit breaker is full, so will need a subpanel.

Thanks

Does the subpanel need to be in the garage for ev charging, or can it be installed near the circuit breaker outside? I want to install some shelving in the garage, but will need to allow space for a subpanel if it needs to be in the garage. My circuit breaker is full, so will need a subpanel.

Thanks

The latest electrical codes say that you have to have some sort of disconnect within sight of the EVSE. If you're going to need a subpanel, then you might as well use that as your disconnect, otherwise you'll have to install a disconnect switch in the garage. This is all assuming you are direct wiring the EVSE. If you are installing it with a plug to a NEMA 14-50, 6-50 or something, then no disconnect (AFAIK).

Presumably you'll have to move at least one 240V circuit to the new subpanel to make room for the subpanel breaker?

It can be either, but I'd highly recommend you put it in the garage. This gives you way more flexibility for the future.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
So i don't need to buy the Tesla wall connector unless i want maximum charging power? I won't be driving daily and when i do, only for short trips. Seems like the dedicated 240V plug may be adequate for me.

Yes. You can leave the portable EVSE that comes with the car plugged in all the time into the wall receptacle.

Reactions: fitnessinstbob
I just had an electrician come over and inspect the area inside the garage where the outlet is going, but he suggested putting in a recessed box as it looks more aesthetically appealing.
Other than that I’m not sure there’s any benefit to having it recessed. It seems though if it’s recessed it might be a little hard to pull out the plug?

I just had an electrician come over and inspect the area inside the garage where the outlet is going, but he suggested putting in a recessed box as it looks more aesthetically appealing.
Other than that I’m not sure there’s any benefit to having it recessed. It seems though if it’s recessed it might be a little hard to pull out the plug?

You want a receptacle flush with the wall, meaning that the electrical box would be recessed into the wall. Is that what he meant by recessed? As opposed to the box mounted on the wall? I doubt he meant the receptacle face itself would be recessed.