Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subscription based Car Wash at Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the factory yesterday, and found that Tesla is doing some kind of market survey on the idea of offering some kind of a car wash service at the superchargers. I think the service is offered by third party (I think it was EcoGreen at Fremont), facilitated by Tesla.

They had questions in the survey such as if we are interested in such a service - subscription based, or pay per use. They would wash the car while it is charging. I think they are already offering the service at the Fremont Supercharger, as a pilot program. They had a Model S that had just been washed on display.

My answers were mostly negative too. Apart from the fact that I have only ever washed my car myself, I was also not sure if I would want to pay to get my car washed in the middle of a road trip. I was also not sure how they would wash the car if there is another car charging right next to it. I mean I wouldn't want water getting sprinkled on my car when I was charging because they were washing one next to mine.

I was in the Reno/Sparks area last Friday and there was a quick storm front that came through the area. The rain and wind kicked up the desert dust. After the sun came out, my car was caked with a thick film of brown dirt. It would have been nice to have a quick pressure wash. Unfortunately, I had to drive back home in this condition until I could get to the detailer the next day.

I actually would love it. on roadtrips (only time i use sc's), i see the gunk piling up on the paint and worry and would really like it washed off at that point...not to mention finding reputable car washes in unfamiliar towns, not an easy task. but definitely not a subscription...

In the old days, before Tesla, stopping for gas on a road trip always involved at least cleaning the windshield, and usually the rear window too. There'd be a squeegee marinating in filthy, semi-soapy water, just waiting to be used as part of your Self Service routine.

(Going down I-5 through the San Joaquin can leave the car caked with bugs and dust. Some days are worse than others in this regard.)

Now, when I stop at a supercharger, there's a bit more time available for the Self Service routine. I get out two spray bottles from the trunk, one with ammonia-free glass cleaner and one with plain water, along with some microfiber towels. Most surfaces just require spraying on a coat of water to loosen/lift the dirt, then gently mopping/wiping the dirt away without pressing down, so the dirt is transferred to the wet cloth. Then a second spray, wipe with a fresh cloth, and dry with a third cloth.

So, I don't know that I'd necessarily pay for someone else to perform this service, because it's a productive activity which gets me out of the car and moving around while I'm waiting. And I'd rather not give someone else the chance to add swirls and scratches. :eek: