TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Subscription based Car Wash at Superchargers

Discussion in 'Model S' started by iffatall, Aug 3, 2016.

1. iffatall

iffatall Member

I was at the factory yesterday, and found that Tesla is doing some kind of market survey on the idea of offering some kind of a car wash service at the superchargers. I think the service is offered by third party (I think it was EcoGreen at Fremont), facilitated by Tesla.

They had questions in the survey such as if we are interested in such a service - subscription based, or pay per use. They would wash the car while it is charging. I think they are already offering the service at the Fremont Supercharger, as a pilot program. They had a Model S that had just been washed on display.

• Informative x 3
  2. scottdoc

scottdoc Member

Great idea

3. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

Not in favor. That seems like an inducement for locals to spend more time supercharging than they already do. I thought the idea of superchargers was for people on road trips. I can't imagine needing to get a carwash every 200-250 miles on a road trip.

• Like x 3
  4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

From reading how picky people are with their cars, I expect most forum users to vote no because what if the person doesn't do a good job washing and swirls the car... the horror :shocking:

• Like x 3
  5. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

Guilty as charged. The only people touching my paint are me and the detailing shop.

• Like x 1
  6. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

Not a fan of the idea either. I would also be concerned about my car being parked next to the car being washed...

• Like x 1
  7. cman8

cman8 Member

+1 on this

8. iffatall

iffatall Member

My answers were mostly negative too. Apart from the fact that I have only ever washed my car myself, I was also not sure if I would want to pay to get my car washed in the middle of a road trip. I was also not sure how they would wash the car if there is another car charging right next to it. I mean I wouldn't want water getting sprinkled on my car when I was charging because they were washing one next to mine.

9. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

In places like California where there are SuperCharger lines already this would go over like a lead balloon.
    I'd love it in Texas.

10. Maximus8

Maximus8 Member

I was in the Reno/Sparks area last Friday and there was a quick storm front that came through the area. The rain and wind kicked up the desert dust. After the sun came out, my car was caked with a thick film of brown dirt. It would have been nice to have a quick pressure wash. Unfortunately, I had to drive back home in this condition until I could get to the detailer the next day.

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

after 6 weeks in CO this winter and having the car fully caked in mud/crud and not being able to find a safe wash until getting back to FLA, I'd say it is a plausible concept that could be explored.

12. mobe

mobe Member

High voltage and water. Great idea.

13. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Good thing it's never rained while someone supercharged...

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  14. doofenshmirtz

doofenshmirtz Member

I actually would love it. on roadtrips (only time i use sc's), i see the gunk piling up on the paint and worry and would really like it washed off at that point...not to mention finding reputable car washes in unfamiliar towns, not an easy task. but definitely not a subscription...

15. taurusking

taurusking Member

I don't see why it would be a bad idea.

Back when I joined the forum we were discussing this in early 2014 and thought it was a great idea especially those who are going on a road trip..

Rain and supercharging is there an issue?

16. NYEVDriver

NYEVDriver Member

I'm with you. I luck enough to have a touchless car wash near me (spray soap, soak, & power wash) for those days I'm too lazy to do the "two bucket" wash. It will really come in hand during the cold northeast winters. Brushes will never touch this car :)

17. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

Agreed on all points.

18. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

Love it:

Go to the car wash and get a free fill-up ;)

In this case I might take my roadster to the SC (not for charging)

19. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

In the old days, before Tesla, stopping for gas on a road trip always involved at least cleaning the windshield, and usually the rear window too. There'd be a squeegee marinating in filthy, semi-soapy water, just waiting to be used as part of your Self Service routine.

(Going down I-5 through the San Joaquin can leave the car caked with bugs and dust. Some days are worse than others in this regard.)

Now, when I stop at a supercharger, there's a bit more time available for the Self Service routine. I get out two spray bottles from the trunk, one with ammonia-free glass cleaner and one with plain water, along with some microfiber towels. Most surfaces just require spraying on a coat of water to loosen/lift the dirt, then gently mopping/wiping the dirt away without pressing down, so the dirt is transferred to the wet cloth. Then a second spray, wipe with a fresh cloth, and dry with a third cloth.

So, I don't know that I'd necessarily pay for someone else to perform this service, because it's a productive activity which gets me out of the car and moving around while I'm waiting. And I'd rather not give someone else the chance to add swirls and scratches. :eek:

20. mobe

mobe Member

Touché

• Like x 1