Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subscription Model for M3 Soft Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read about this being considered a option but I think it might be very smart for TMC to use subscription services for certain features. Such as...

Supercharging
Speed upgrades
Adaptive Cruise Control
Autonomous Steering
Mapping
Cellular connectivity
The list goes on....

Of course they could and should be available for outright purchase. But why include the cost of any one of these when they might not be used all of the time just say occasionally like on a long trip. It would lower initial cost without handicapping the car at all. Nothing is for free so why not pay as needed.

I haven't read about this being considered a option but I think it might be very smart for TMC to use subscription services for certain features. Such as...

Supercharging
Speed upgrades
Adaptive Cruise Control
Autonomous Steering
Mapping
Cellular connectivity
The list goes on....

Of course they could and should be available for outright purchase. But why include the cost of any one of these when they might not be used all of the time just say occasionally like on a long trip. It would lower initial cost without handicapping the car at all. Nothing is for free so why not pay as needed.

As far as I know the cellular connectivity is free for X years, and is then supposed to be a subscription after. (Not sure about how many years, and I have yet to hear anything about anyone that have been billed for this.)
Included with the car is 7 years of map-updates. After this you probably will have to pay. If it will be subscription or pay-per-download is not known.
Subscription on the Supercharging service is probably a good idea sometime in the future.

For the rest of the list:
Absolutely not!

We're talking about the M3 here now. Nothing has been included until details are released and to meet the price point subscription service is a alternative to higher initial purchase price. I'm just tossing this out there as a possibility. I'm going to be getting a M3 as a current MS owner. It'll be loaded as is the MS. But to have all of the features available on demand for a subscription rather than higher up front cost it seems to me that would be a great alternative.

Does anyone have any kind of figure as to how much things like LTE connectivity (provided by AT&T) or even software updates cost Tesla? My first guess is that allowing free supercharger access for every Tesla costs a lot more than providing free internet access, even if used for web browsing. It certainly makes sense from a typical business perspective to charge for things like LTE data, but we're talking about a company in Tesla that strives to create only top-of-the-line products. Their products are advanced pieces of technology as much as they are cars. Offering base models without internet connectivity seems like a step backwards and one that they might shy away from for fear of losing brand appeal.

Does anyone have any kind of figure as to how much things like LTE connectivity (provided by AT&T) or even software updates cost Tesla? My first guess is that allowing free supercharger access for every Tesla costs a lot more than providing free internet access, even if used for web browsing. It certainly makes sense from a typical business perspective to charge for things like LTE data, but we're talking about a company in Tesla that strives to create only top-of-the-line products. Their products are advanced pieces of technology as much as they are cars. Offering base models without internet connectivity seems like a step backwards and one that they might shy away from for fear of losing brand appeal.

just as a point of comparison, Audi and AT+T gave me 6 months free unlimited 4G/LTE data.

After that, I had a choice of adding it to an existing AT+T plan for $10/month as an extra device....but I don't have AT+T.

OR..30 months/30GB-$499
6 months/5GB $99
1 month/1GB $20

but at least with a Tesla, I'd be able to hook up to home wifi. Audi doesn't do that. :mad:

I just test drove a Model S on Sunday. I was discussing various features of the car and came to the LTE connectivity which I mistakenly referred to as "free forever." She corrected me to say, "It's not free forever. Right now, we have a deal with AT&T. I think that deal lasts for 3 or 4 more years." I wonder if that deadline could have something to do with their plans, or if the idea is, indeed, to create a subscription model that would help subsidize a renewal of that deal and (possibly) continued free data for higher-end Tesla models.

Deviating from the point of the thread. Lets say...

$30 for a month of Supercharging
or...
$5 for Adaptive Cruise Control + maybe $10 for Auto Steering for a month if desired.

I don't know...Would you rather that instead of say 4 years of unlimited Supercharger access for $1,000 or $2, 000 for semi autonomous Autopilot? I think either is acceptable depending upon your circumstances and budget.

Just don't be so naive as to believe something is included or free. If so, you don't pay taxes and get free healthcare. Pfft.

Deviating from the point of the thread. Lets say...

$30 for a month of Supercharging
or...
$5 for Adaptive Cruise Control + maybe $10 for Auto Steering for a month if desired.

I don't know...Would you rather that instead of say 4 years of unlimited Supercharger access for $1,000 or $2, 000 for semi autonomous Autopilot? I think either is acceptable depending upon your circumstances and budget.

Just don't be so naive as to believe something is included or free. If so, you don't pay taxes and get free healthcare. Pfft.

supercharging may be on a subscription model of some sort, but even then, that's iffy. Autopilot won't be on a subscription model ever. The reasoning is self-serving for Tesla. They want to lead the charge into a safer, EV-dominated world of driving. Ending range anxiety has been one of Musk's main points since the SC network began rolling out. As for Autopilot, you'll have to pay to have it from delivery, or turn it on after, just as you would on the S or X. Think of the liability Tesla could face if your Autopilot subscription ran out mid-overnight-trip and you got in an accident due to a bad car-to-driver handover, or the car decided that a reboot was necessary to disable the AP software suite. Not happening.