Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subscription trigger with voting button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
Currently, posting in a thread subscribes a member to the thread. I was curious about whether we could add voting as a subscription trigger as well. If I "like" a post in a thread that I'm reading, it's quite possible I'll want to return to that thread as it interested me. Potentially there could be a toggle for this in a member's settings, in case that behavior isn't ideal for everyone.

Are you suggesting just voting as a trigger or also “Like” (and variations thereof)? I don’t feel real strongly one way or the other, just wanting to understand what you in mind.

Bruce.
Sorry, I was calling the like/disagree/informative etc. by the term “voting buttons.” So I mean If I click any of those, I’d be subscribed to that thread.

I'm for this option if and only if it is configurable. I wish to follow only a fraction of the threads where I click "like" (or the like), and I don't at all mind just going up to click "Watch Thread" up at the top. I do not care at all to have to go up and click "Unwatch Thread" every time I simply "liked" a post (or found something funny or helpful or what have you). That's a lot of extra clicking to avoid a tremendous number of unwanted notifications.

If it is not something that can be turned off, then I am dead against it. I don't at all care for automatically imposed micromanagement.

To be fully honest, I'm not to thrilled about having to unfollow as many threads as I do, simply because I replied. Threads inevitably go off the rails into several other discussions that have minimal or no relationship to the original topic, and I often need to unwatch many threads long before they just die out. However, it's a fairly small pain that I tolerate easily.

I'm for this option if and only if it is configurable. I wish to follow only a fraction of the threads where I click "like" (or the like), and I don't at all mind just going up to click "Watch Thread" up at the top. I do not care at all to have to go up and click "Unwatch Thread" every time I simply "liked" a post (or found something funny or helpful or what have you). That's a lot of extra clicking to avoid a tremendous number of unwanted notifications.

If it is not something that can be turned off, then I am dead against it. I don't at all care for automatically imposed micromanagement.

To be fully honest, I'm not to thrilled about having to unfollow as many threads as I do, simply because I replied. Threads inevitably go off the rails into several other discussions that have minimal or no relationship to the original topic, and I often need to unwatch many threads long before they just die out. However, it's a fairly small pain that I tolerate easily.

Yes, indeedy.

First, I rarely use the like/informative/etc. buttons. That is because I sometime forget that they are there. This is not to say that certain comments are not useful, amusing, or informative. I think that if I wish to follow a thread, and I am not automatically subscribed because I made a comment, then I could easily locate the "follow thread" button.

I have had to "unfollow thread" too many times for the reasons stated by TexLaw.

I have railed against internet clutter for a long time. This to me is more clutter. Just my opinion. :)

To be fully honest, I'm not to thrilled about having to unfollow as many threads as I do, simply because I replied.
By default you automatically watch threads you reply to. However, you can deselect that option here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/account/preferences

You can also just not visiting the thread. If things are working properly, you only get a new post alert for a thread once after you've last visited. If you don't go back to that thread, you shouldn't get a second alert for it.

• Helpful
Reactions: TexLaw