Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Substance anomaly under front passenger seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok this is a weird one. I just found this strange substance under my front passenger side seat. I'm assuming it has nothing to do with the seat and couldn't have possibly come from the seat but I'm having a really hard time making sense of it so thought I'd run it by the internet experts out there.

Yesterday I noticed a red/pinkish substance under the passenger side seat along the side by the center console. My first thought was "how the hell did candy get down there? son of a..." and then my brain calmed down and I realized there was virtually no possibility it was candy. My son almost always sits in the 3rd row rear-facing seats and I don't ever allow food in the car, other than the 3rd row. I keep my car very neat. Almost nothing in it at all other than some stuff in the center floor bin area. The entire rest of the cabin is almost always completely empty. Nothing at all in it.

Investigating further, it was clear that this substance was not food, but rather a sticky soft/malleable plastic. It was "crumbled" but could easily be squished together into shapes and has no odor at all.

Here is more info about it as I'm thinking through it:
  • Is it something that fell down and got shredded by the track somehow? Nope, its on top of the track and the track is nearly completely free of this substance.
  • Could it have been something that just fell down there already like that? Unlikely. If you look at the pics below, you will see it is way under the edge of the seat and on the other side of a bolt. Very little was on the carpet that would be a direct drop down the side of the seat. It would be really difficult for it to just fall there.
  • Could it have been deliberately placed there by someone? This is the only other possibility I can make any sense of, though it still would be nearly impossible. The car stays in a closed garage at home and is locked any time I walk away from it in a parking lot. I did have it at an event over the weekend and two people did sit in the car, but I was standing right next to them watching them the entire time.
Also of note. About a week ago I needed to briefly put a cat carrier behind that seat and moved the seat all the way forward to the point it stops moving while pressing the forward switch. I don't recall the last time I moved that seat all the way forward, it's been quite a while. Could it be possible something "blew out" when it reached the stop going forward? It still seems to still work fine as far as movements go.

Lastly, want to be clear I am not saying this came from the seat. I'm VERY confused and want to rule it out if possible. In looking under the seat I can find no evidence at all that anything of that color came from anywhere under the seat. I really doubt it came from the seat but I also have no other legitimate explanation for what this is or how it got there.

Here are the pics. The first is the "legend" to show where the camera was placed for each of the 4 pics. There is a blue X reference in all of the pics pointing to the same spot on the same piece of metal as a reference point.

Legend
tesla-strage-substance-legend.jpg

#1 Pic from the front
tesla-strage-substance-1.jpg

#2 Another pic from the front
tesla-strage-substance-2.jpg

#3 Pic from the back seat between the console and side of front passenger seat
tesla-strage-substance-3.jpg

#4 Pic from the back seat under the front passenger side seat
tesla-strage-substance-4.jpg

EDIT:
I'll add that in pic #1 and #2 there are reflections of the substance that look a little confusing in the metal bracket. If you look at pic #3 you can see it without the reflections.

I read your post prior to seeing the pictures and thought "no big deal". Saw pictures and now I think it's between worrisome and a good episode of Scoobydo.

I'd get it tested. I'm guessing you know everyone who goes in and out of your car, including the detailers/cleaners? That or someone from the seat manufacturer left something and it migrated.

It would be great to rename this post, Guess the Goo.

It looks exactly like meat, from the pictures. Is there a smell or greasy residue? Does it burn like plastic, or does it brown like meat?

PS: I hope it's not meat. I can't think of a good scenario for that case. :)

It's most definitely not food of any type, though yes it does look a whole lot like ground beef. Its a plastic like substance that is red/pink and some white speckled in. Here is a video I just made of some of the "mystery goo" and how it acts when manipulated. It even resembles ground beef to some degree when torn apart after squeezing together.

Also, I vacuumed down next to that seat about 2 weeks ago and am 100% sure it was not there at the time.

Further exploration under the seat yielded nothing that would indicate it came from the seat. Assuming it didn't, I'm left with the only other option that could make any sense. Some stranger threw the substance under the seat at the National Drive Electric Week event I attended on Saturday. Seems crazy as I was keeping an eye on my car and was never far from it or unable to see it. There could have been a minute or two I was talking to someone with my back to the car and the windows were open so someone could have leaned far in and tossed it under the seat. I suppose. But why do that? Makes no sense. Unless the motive was to make me go crazy trying to figure it out. In which case, mission accomplished!

• Helpful
Reactions: faughtz
Tesla uses a red adhesive to hold items to the aluminum panels. Perhaps some excess got under there and then hardened and broke apart. Is it possible it's been there since your car was built?

That's a great point and would explain the color and appearance (crumbly/shattered), but not sure it can explain the fact that it's soft and sticks to itself easily. So it couldn't have just broken apart into small pieces on its own. It appears to have been shredded or torn apart by something. The more I think about it the less anything sense it makes.

One more video, showing a piece from the floor that I carefully picked up. This is exactly the shape it was on the floor. Looking at this and looking at the way it spilled out on the carpet, it really looks like this could have occurred when then seat was moved all the way forward (possibly for the first time ever). The carpet pieces would line up with the bulk of the track pieces with the seat all the way forward. The piece has a ribbon like shape to it.

wax could be left over from a casting process and stuck to a part (in the seat) while still in the fab area, and fell out as it was exercised with seat movements

Tesla wouldn't intentionally use something that melts that easily and catches fire like that in the interior of a car

• Informative
Reactions: Lex and Zarwin