Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Substancial under performance with solar roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an open problem with Tesla's solar roof after two years of operation.
The contract says the following:
Site & Design Assumptions for your Purchase Solar Roof system size: 21.98472 kW DC Estimated gross annual electricity production in kilowatt-hours (kWh) from your Solar Roof in Year 1: 25,259 kWh

Production for each of the 2 years has been ~17,000 kwh, only about 2/3rds the number projected. They've offered to add some panels on the north side, but we don’t have any confidence that will change the overall production that much.

Is this something that should go to arbitration?

Is there a production guarantee in the contract?

I dont think Tesla has performance guarantees, just performance targets. I also have no idea how the arbitration process plays out, since people make decisions based on these performance targets.

If it were me, I would be trying to figure out if anyone could tell me why the system was performing in such a manner, but I am guessing the OP has tried that.

I also have a 2-year-old solar roof that has underperformed by 25% in the past year after Tesla tried to address even worse production I had in the roof's first year. Tesla changed wiring connections after the first year which boosted production a bit and then this past October switched my inverter and MCIs from Delta to Tesla. The production after the inverter and MCI swap looks promising, but it is still too early to tell whether I'll likely hit the original annual estimate over the next year.

I posted a bunch of details about my repair process here:

Do you have Delta inverters?

They've offered to add some panels on the north side, but we don’t have any confidence that will change the overall production that much.

I would think that more tiles certainly would not hurt.

I have the same issue! I have a 10kwh system and on the contract its estimated to produce about 13MWh per year, so far one full year of production it only produce about 8MWh according to the Tesla app. I am placing a call to them right now!