Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subtle closed charge port door noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've deduced that it's part of the cold weather update they did. It only happens when it's cold out. I think it sounds like the locking mechanism for the connector trying to constantly unlatch, even though it's already unlatched. Perhaps it just constantly keeps trying and trying in case it freezes up? Perhaps it generates some heat which helps keep it thawed? I don't know but it is kind of annoying when working in the garage around the car and it's happening. I noticed it when I was spray washing the rear end of the car.
I also don't like that the connector automatically unlocks when the car is done charging. Not sure if it's because I am in range with my phone or not, but I had to click the button to release it before. This seems to be the case now whether or not it's warm or cold.
Mine is making the noise here in coastal San Diego. I hope they did some serious testing on these charge ports!

Reactions: C141medic
Mine is making the noise here in coastal San Diego. I hope they did some serious testing on these charge ports!

Must be considerable variance on the volume of this clicking from car to car. Mine definitely makes this noise when the car is not sleeping, but I have to put my ear on the charge port to hear it, even when it is quiet in the garage. Maybe I'm going deaf.