Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subtle "clunk" from rear when accelerating from a stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was in for service yesterday and I asked about the so-called "shim fix". They said, yes there was a shim fix but they have stopped doing them for now because it was only effective on a small percentage of cars, and in some cases made things worse. I think this is still being evaluated by Tesla for an in-shop fix. My "clunk" was deemed to be "within spec" but I am on the list for a drivetrain swap due to the high pitched whine or buzz.

Got to love that my whine was "waiting for a better fix", but the clunk necessitated a drive unit swap, so my whine should be gone when I get my car back tomorrow.

just had my car in for service to check out a fairly subtle, but getting worse, clunk that was coming from the rear during low speed transitions from accel to deccel and Vis-versa. Below are the notes from the repair order.

"Test drove the vehicle to evaluate and record the noise. Seems to be coming from the right rear suspension area. Found rear axle nuts slightly loose.
Corrections: Rear Axle Nut Washer - LH & RH
Remove rear axle nuts, remove and replace rear axle lock washers. Re-install rear axle nuts, torque to spec."

We'll see what happens and if the noise recurs.
Well, it's back. In fact a noise was back after about two weeks after it came back from the shop although it's different than it was before. More of a /click/ than a /thunk/ now. I'm scheduled to take it back in next week. Though the service manager said something interesting when I called in the problem. She said they might leave the car with me depending on how the sound checked out as there are some in process fixes that aren't quite ready yet and are still being investigated by the engineering team. I'll check back in once I get done with the service visit.

Mine's in the shop right now for a bunch of stuff. They've had it since Tuesday. My technician definitely made it sound like the clunk necessitated a DU swap. We'll see what they come up with.. Service is stellar as usual, and I'm cruising in a P85+ while the work on my P85. Can't complain there other than a really annoying tapping noise coming from the microphone area in front of the sunroof on the loaner... sounds like a dang gerbil trying to get out of there or something :-D
Also depressing to see 90% at like 238 every morning when mine does 221 @90%... makes you realize how much you lost... The only other thought (I know this has been a random post) was just about every loaner I've gotten was set to 100% charge limit. I wonder if they keep them at 100% all the time, or just crank them up for a full charge before bringing them to customers while they're out on loan? Makes me wonder how much wear and tear my battery got when my car was in the fleet as a service loaner...

Well, it's back. In fact a noise was back after about two weeks after it came back from the shop although it's different than it was before. More of a /click/ than a /thunk/ now. I'm scheduled to take it back in next week. Though the service manager said something interesting when I called in the problem. She said they might leave the car with me depending on how the sound checked out as there are some in process fixes that aren't quite ready yet and are still being investigated by the engineering team. I'll check back in once I get done with the service visit.

My clunk is slowly making a come back after a DU swap. I'll keep an eye on it. Before the DU swap, they addressed it on the old DU separate from the whining noise and it went away until the new DU was put in.

My clunk mysteriously went away a bit less than a year ago (I noticed I'd posted in this thread when it was prominent). I mentioned it to the service center and they said a software update had fiddled with something. Hard to believe but I know what I don't hear now.

My clunk mysteriously went away a bit less than a year ago (I noticed I'd posted in this thread when it was prominent). I mentioned it to the service center and they said a software update had fiddled with something. Hard to believe but I know what I don't hear now.

My clunk was more a vibration/jolt more than a sound. There could have been a sound too, but since I had inverter whine, I probably wasn't focused on the clunk sound rather than the feel. For people use to traditional ICEs, the clunk between power and regen on my car felt like when a driveshaft on an ICE isn't properly lubricated and shifts position. Glad to hear Tesla diagnosed the issue on my car and I look forward to getting smooth, quiet car tomorrow.

Got the car back from service again yesterday. Noise is gone, again, we will see how long it lasts this time. fix as noted by Tesla service center is shown below.

"Corrections: Driveshafts - Lubricate at Hubs LH/RH

Remove rear drive shaft nuts and washers, partially remove driveshafts to access hubs

and driveshaft splines. Lubricate hubs and spines with molly grease, reassemble with new

lock washers."

Got the car back from service again yesterday. Noise is gone, again, we will see how long it lasts this time. fix as noted by Tesla service center is shown below.

"Corrections: Driveshafts - Lubricate at Hubs LH/RH

Remove rear drive shaft nuts and washers, partially remove driveshafts to access hubs

and driveshaft splines. Lubricate hubs and spines with molly grease, reassemble with new

lock washers."

Hate to break it to you but this is a temp fix. A DU replacement is inevitable..

This continues to be the case with the right circumstances. My car went for the proactive contractor replacement and I asked them to look at the subtle clunk between power -> regen and vice versa and they ultimately decided to swap my drive unit.

Do note that I did NOT have the problem Evan had when opening this thread. I had this problem that others reported in this same thread (my car however would do it even at 55 mph after about 20-30 minutes of driving)...

Update: Repair complete
The source of the Clunk/Click/Clink sound in the video and that was the main subject of this thread was a spline within the hub/drive shaft unit that was loose/outside of tolerances. Both rear hubs/drive shafts were replaced to fix that issue.

Well, almost a year later, I developed the same clunking/clinking that is in Evan's Op. For me, it happened often from a stop as well, but would happen even at 20-30 mph when going power to regen and vice versa, but would also happen over bumps and around curves. Dropped it off this morning and they called at lunchtime to tell me to hold onto my loaner till Friday while they replace both halves of the rear axle and install new hubs. Sounds like the same problem/fix that Evan had. Still love my 2013+. I say 2013+ b/c now it has lots of 2015 and 2016 parts in it from other warranty repairs! LOL :)

Took it to the SC. They felt it pretty quick, after driving it a car length. After a trip around the block the tech said this is not a typical drive unit noise, this is pretty bad. They want to keep the car. Probably a motor mount. Out of loaners (of course) so I have a rental. They are a couple days behind so hopefully will see the car Mon/Tues. He said don't worry about the aftermarket wheels. They only have a problem with aftermarket wheels when someone installs a crazy offset then comes in complaining about alignment. Seems fair.

Seems like I have this too. See the vid. Two questions:
1. There also is a loud buzzing sound that occurs many times after I stop the car. You can hear it at the beginning of the video right before the first clunck. Normal?
2. Seems I also get the clunk when I let off the accelerator. I presume this is also not normal?

Guess it's time to call the service center.

I took my car into the service center for a ride along yesterday. Got the same explanation that the hubs needed lubing. Will be doing that next Friday. I couldn't recreate the buzzing sound, so they said they will try to do that when they have the car in.