Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subtle "clunk" from rear when accelerating from a stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Repair complete
The source of the Clunk/Click/Clink sound in the video and that was the main subject of this thread was a spline within the hub/drive shaft unit that was loose/outside of tolerances. Both rear hubs/drive shafts were replaced to fix that issue.

Addnl service: My acceleration whine was noticably louder than the loaners I've been driving (albeit not terrible, but quite noticable even over a fairly loud stereo)--they apparently can record the sound, send it to engineering who checks to see if it is within tolerances, if not they replace the drive unit and that was done on my car this service... pretty cool since I didn't even voice a complaint/concern about the whine.

Multiple dash and door rattles reportedly fixed...that will be nice. It certainly seems that things have loosened up quite a lot over the past 19 months since getting the car.

UMC replaced. I had subtle melting on one pin on the cable side and even though I've only used my new/replacement NEMA 14-50 to charge the car twice, there was a small burn/melted area at that pin on the new adapter--so that was replaced as well.

And, of course, the usual detail work and they scraped the huge orange alternative fuel sticker off the windshield (at my request).

I have the dreaded clunk in the rear thing going, similar to other reports. It happens on a start and also when switching from gen to regen in the 20-40 mpg range approximately. I'm hoping to get it sorted out at the Van Nuys SC on the 18th, 'cause I'm going to be doing a long drive half way across country. I almost decided to wait until after the long drive, but better to sort it out before since it sounds lie sometimes it progresses into a bigger issue.

Off topic a bit, but the lacewood trim around the cup holders had a ding at delivery and I only noticed it 20min after leaving Fremont. Has anyone had these type of wood decor finish issues at delivery taken care of post delivery without a fuss?

I have the dreaded clunk in the rear thing going, similar to other reports. It happens on a start and also when switching from gen to regen in the 20-40 mpg range approximately. I'm hoping to get it sorted out at the Van Nuys SC on the 18th, 'cause I'm going to be doing a long drive half way across country. I almost decided to wait until after the long drive, but better to sort it out before since it sounds lie sometimes it progresses into a bigger issue.

Off topic a bit, but the lacewood trim around the cup holders had a ding at delivery and I only noticed it 20min after leaving Fremont. Has anyone had these type of wood decor finish issues at delivery taken care of post delivery without a fuss?

Well, I received a new drive unit. I didn't get much of a technical explanation as to what was the problem. They also fixed my center console, but I fear they gave me a frunk crease at the same time... ugh Speaking of which, it's time for Tesla to do something about the defective frunks.

I just had mine in exactly one year after the last service for this issue last spring. After driving on salty roads all winter corrosion must build up around axle components. I was getting a fairly loud click/clunk when accelerating from stop or at slow speed. It would also click/clunk when regen kicked in at slow speed.

The fix was this: Axle washers and lubrication. Silence is bliss!

Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 1.21.20 PM.png

I just had mine in exactly one year after the last service for this issue last spring. After driving on salty roads all winter corrosion must build up around axle components. I was getting a fairly loud click/clunk when accelerating from stop or at slow speed. It would also click/clunk when regen kicked in at slow speed.

Interesting. When I took mine in (presumably to the same location) I was told the "clunk" was normal. When it also developed the "angry mosquito" buzzing, they said okay, they'll replace the drive unit (again). It is a low priority and they said they'd call when the had the parts in.

View attachment 81513

Isn't it a concern that driving on salty winter roads would cause a clunking noise and problems with your axle? Is your car going to need this every year or two, including when it's out of warranty? Driving on salty roads should not have any negative impacts on your vehicle.

Isn't it a concern that driving on salty winter roads would cause a clunking noise and problems with your axle? Is your car going to need this every year or two, including when it's out of warranty? Driving on salty roads should not have any negative impacts on your vehicle.

Yes it is a concern, but I purchased an extended warranty because the S does not have a long service history. Service did say with all the new Tesla engineering personnel, they are slowly resolving these ongoing issues with proper fixes, not just bandaids. We shall see. I was also still getting a mild steering clicking which has been ongoing as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. When I took mine in (presumably to the same location) I was told the "clunk" was normal. When it also developed the "angry mosquito" buzzing, they said okay, they'll replace the drive unit (again). It is a low priority and they said they'd call when the had the parts in.

There are different kinds of clunks. Mine definitely sounded like it was coming from the vicinity of the wheels. There is a slight sound from gear lash but nothing pedestrians can hear like what I had. I was embarrassed to accelerate when pedestrians were around.

Ive had the lube and whatnot done on the axles too. It would be silent for a few weeks then come back. This was repeat offender until my drive unit was swapped with a referb.

Yea I'm starting to develop a noticeable clunk that sounds and behaves exactly like yours in your YouTube vids... I really hope they'll fix it without me having to make a stink because it gets on my last nerve. That and the click/creaks I get from the c pillar area when I go over any uneven road surfaces...

just had my car in for service to check out a fairly subtle, but getting worse, clunk that was coming from the rear during low speed transitions from accel to deccel and Vis-versa. Below are the notes from the repair order.

"Test drove the vehicle to evaluate and record the noise. Seems to be coming from the right rear suspension area. Found rear axle nuts slightly loose.
Corrections: Rear Axle Nut Washer - LH & RH
Remove rear axle nuts, remove and replace rear axle lock washers. Re-install rear axle nuts, torque to spec."

We'll see what happens and if the noise recurs.

just had my car in for service to check out a fairly subtle, but getting worse, clunk that was coming from the rear during low speed transitions from accel to deccel and Vis-versa. Below are the notes from the repair order.

"Test drove the vehicle to evaluate and record the noise. Seems to be coming from the right rear suspension area. Found rear axle nuts slightly loose.
Corrections: Rear Axle Nut Washer - LH & RH
Remove rear axle nuts, remove and replace rear axle lock washers. Re-install rear axle nuts, torque to spec."

We'll see what happens and if the noise recurs.
Good deal. Let us know!

I had a creak happen when accelerating from stop. Open the windows to se if you hear it. It ended up being the drive axle to wheel hub connection making the noise and just required taking apart, cleaning and re-torqueing. It was coming from both sides at the rear.

This is what is was for me as well. What I couldnt get a straight answer on is if this is an inspection point for any of the routine service plans or if there is a TSB that lets the service center know that after so many miles, you may want to check this out.

That clunk-from-stop (not the big pack-disabling one) has been reported a few times in various threads. It generally merits a drivetrain swap. Tesla has a new motor mount that is supposed to fix this but there has been speculation it doesn't work all that well and it's still being worked on.

This continues to be the case with the right circumstances. My car went for the proactive contractor replacement and I asked them to look at the subtle clunk between power -> regen and vice versa and they ultimately decided to swap my drive unit.

Do note that I did NOT have the problem Evan had when opening this thread. I had this problem that others reported in this same thread (my car however would do it even at 55 mph after about 20-30 minutes of driving)...
I have the dreaded clunk in the rear thing going, similar to other reports. It happens on a start and also when switching from gen to regen in the 20-40 mpg range approximately.

just had my car in for service to check out a fairly subtle, but getting worse, clunk that was coming from the rear during low speed transitions from accel to deccel and Vis-versa.

My car was in for service yesterday and I asked about the so-called "shim fix". They said, yes there was a shim fix but they have stopped doing them for now because it was only effective on a small percentage of cars, and in some cases made things worse. I think this is still being evaluated by Tesla for an in-shop fix. My "clunk" was deemed to be "within spec" but I am on the list for a drivetrain swap due to the high pitched whine or buzz.