Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subtle Differences Between S and X . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
I've searched, but can't find a similar thread. So, other than the obviouis physical differences, what little things have you found to be different between the S and X?

• Two-wheel-press reboot blanks and possibly reboots both screens in the X while only rebooting the center screen in the S. (X reboots in about 1/4 the time of the S, but is likely the difference in computer speeds.)
  • Charge port is always lit when plugged in on the X while the S shuts off after a short bit.
  • One additional level of suspension adjustment in the X, now defaults to low vs standard in the S.

I know there were a few more things I've run across, but can't recall at the moment. I'll keep adding to the list as we identify them.

I've searched, but can't find a similar thread. So, other than the obviouis physical differences, what little things have you found to be different between the S and X?

• Two-wheel-press reboot blanks and possibly reboots both screens in the X while only rebooting the center screen in the S. (X reboots in about 1/4 the time of the S, but is likely the difference in computer speeds.)
  • Charge port is always lit when plugged in on the X while the S shuts off after a short bit.
  • One additional level of suspension adjustment in the X, now defaults to low vs standard in the S.

I know there were a few more things I've run across, but can't recall at the moment. I'll keep adding to the list as we identify them.

My X charging port shuts color off after some time. (Late 6/2018 build)

Also, the X has to be unlocked to allow the charge door to open via wand.

• Two-wheel-press reboot blanks and possibly reboots both screens in the X while only rebooting the center screen in the S. (X reboots in about 1/4 the time of the S, but is likely the difference in computer speeds.
Does your X have the new MCU? It's significantly faster and controls both screens with one computer. Thus the single command to reboot both. Older MCU Xs are separate commands.

S and X subtlety different?

One is svelte and and one is a beached whale.

With an S I don’t have to stop, drop and roll when I hear the Tesla beep from fear of death via guillotine or blunt force trauma from the falcon wing doors. :)

The interior door handles I think are the same. So I have a puzzled wtf look when the doors don’t close when I tug on those handles or put my foot on the brake.

My Feb 18 X (old MCU) only reboots the main screen with a two-wheel-press, so exactly the same as an S from the same vintage. New MCU is different in both S and X. So really no difference there in reality between the 2 car models, only differences in hardware vintage.

Charge port in my X also shuts off after a couple of minutes, so doubt there is any difference there either.

Other non-obvious differences:-

Front door bins in X
Vanity mirror lighting in X (not sure if S has that now too?)
Powered tailgate in X (don't think S has this, but not totally sure)
Powered front doors in X
Headlights are a bit different in the X and possibly better?
Panoramic windscreen in X (not so subtle difference!)
I believe the front seats are different, but not that familiar with S