TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Subtle Differences Between S and X . . .

Discussion in 'Model X' started by SSonnentag, Sep 4, 2018.

1. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

I've searched, but can't find a similar thread. So, other than the obviouis physical differences, what little things have you found to be different between the S and X?

• Two-wheel-press reboot blanks and possibly reboots both screens in the X while only rebooting the center screen in the S. (X reboots in about 1/4 the time of the S, but is likely the difference in computer speeds.)
    • Charge port is always lit when plugged in on the X while the S shuts off after a short bit.
    • One additional level of suspension adjustment in the X, now defaults to low vs standard in the S.

I know there were a few more things I've run across, but can't recall at the moment. I'll keep adding to the list as we identify them.

2. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

My X charging port shuts color off after some time. (Late 6/2018 build)

Also, the X has to be unlocked to allow the charge door to open via wand.

3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

Does your X have the new MCU? It's significantly faster and controls both screens with one computer. Thus the single command to reboot both. Older MCU Xs are separate commands.

• Informative x 5
  4. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

My 7/2018 X chargeport light also turns off after a small period of time.

• Like x 1
  5. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

S and X subtlety different?

One is svelte and and one is a beached whale.

With an S I don’t have to stop, drop and roll when I hear the Tesla beep from fear of death via guillotine or blunt force trauma from the falcon wing doors. :)

The interior door handles I think are the same. So I have a puzzled wtf look when the doors don’t close when I tug on those handles or put my foot on the brake.

• Funny x 6
  6. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Did you notice that you are one with the S and you both own the road, while the X is one with nobody and eats the road for breakfast? Subtle?

• Like x 1
  7. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

That is true on my April 2015 build Model S. I suspect it's true on all S and X.

Bruce.

8. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

My Feb 18 X (old MCU) only reboots the main screen with a two-wheel-press, so exactly the same as an S from the same vintage. New MCU is different in both S and X. So really no difference there in reality between the 2 car models, only differences in hardware vintage.

Charge port in my X also shuts off after a couple of minutes, so doubt there is any difference there either.

Other non-obvious differences:-

Front door bins in X
    Vanity mirror lighting in X (not sure if S has that now too?)
    Powered tailgate in X (don't think S has this, but not totally sure)
    Powered front doors in X
    Headlights are a bit different in the X and possibly better?
    Panoramic windscreen in X (not so subtle difference!)
    I believe the front seats are different, but not that familiar with S