Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subtle drivers seat movement in Model S on braking/acceleration - Normal?

Apologies if there is already a thread on this - I see a thread under Model X - Driver seat movement

I'm seeing the same in a Model S 2020 we just picked up almost two months ago. When I am braking and then I step on the accelerator, it feels like the seat is moving back and forth a little. It is so subtle that I haven't been able to tell if it is in my head or if this is actually a thing. It doesn't always happen when braking and accelerating, but I am seeing it nearly every time I drive the car. Is this normal or is this something I should schedule an appt with the SC and have them diagnose it?

It's not normal, but it's common, and whether you can get it fixed is up in the air. I had a slight shift in my 2019 - maybe only few millimeters on accel/decel transitions. I had my seat rails adjusted and then seats replaced when I first got that car, and it was better but still subtly noticeable. Seems to be a slightly loose bolt/connection either in the seat frame or from the seat to the rails - I'm sure a shim or a little more elbow grease in the right fastener would fix it, but the service center just wanted to replace the seats. For what it's worth, I was worried it would steadily get worse, but it didn't over 2 years and 32k miles so I just lived with it.

Apologies if there is already a thread on this - I see a thread under Model X - Driver seat movement

I'm seeing the same in a Model S 2020 we just picked up almost two months ago. When I am braking and then I step on the accelerator, it feels like the seat is moving back and forth a little. It is so subtle that I haven't been able to tell if it is in my head or if this is actually a thing. It doesn't always happen when braking and accelerating, but I am seeing it nearly every time I drive the car. Is this normal or is this something I should schedule an appt with the SC and have them diagnose it?
I’m on my third drivers seat. The same thing you describe was remedied with a new seat. The bracket is part of the “chair” and they weren’t able to replace just the base.
The second time it was bc the new seat lumbar bladder was punctured, would wheeze when pressed and eventually would empty.
A DIY’er like me would simply examine the seat until I could fine the source, then ?

Reactions: ferventcoder

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC