TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Subwoofer custom installation options

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by tetsuos, Oct 19, 2013.

1. tetsuos

tetsuos HK #488 (2.5)

I am thinking of doing a subwoofer install in my 2.5 roadster, but the options seem limited. Has anyone ever tried creating a subwoofer enclosure using the area under the door sills/side panels? The space between the carbon fiber body panels and the roadster frame/tub seems like an ideal space, but I'm not sure if there are any drivers small enough to fit in there. The empty space would be stuffed with subwoofer filler material.

The overall strategy would be to go small, but create left and right subs for an improved effect. Is this a crazy idea?

2. asgard

asgard Member

I had two recommendations of installs on Roadsters, by Sound Innovations in Union City, CA and Dietsch Werks. Both in the back of the passenger footwell. Make sure they don't cut into the aluminum. Drilling to screw in the subs is ok.
    This is about the only reasonable place, unless you want to drop the battery pack and install them in the back where the factory ones are.

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

When I was interested in putting a sub in my 1.5 I found a 100watt powered sub that would fit perfectly behind the drivers seat on the back wall.

4. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

Keep in mind low frequencies are non-directional, so you don't need two, and don't need them on both sides. One driver somewhere in the interior will be heard properly everywhere.

5. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I believe there is a Lotus Elise enclosure out there that fits in the passenger footwell of the Roadster and still leaves a decent amount of footroom.

6. bart513

bart513 Member

Wiztecy,
    Do you recall which model it was?
    Thanks!

7. Zextraterrestrial

I had 2 6" bazooka speakers in a 914 porsche strapped right in front of the seats. Lots of Bass for such a small car. Not sure if there is the same room in a Roadster?

8. asgard

asgard Member

There is. I have seen an install on the roadster (and Lotus Elise). The Roadster has a deeper footwell.
    The two speakers have to be staggered diagonally, or you can stick a monster 9 inch there.
    Here is how it looks:
    http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/speaker-box-footwell-13365/

And here is the monster 9 inch sub:
    http://teamspeed.com/forums/aston-martin-jaguar-lotus/64087-lotus-elise-subwoofer-install-jl-audio-stealthbox.html

9. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Doesn't the 2.5 already have a sub? Mine sure sounds like it.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

2.0's have a subwoofer if you have the upgraded stereo package. I believe it's the same for 2.5's.

11. augkuo

augkuo Member

#11 augkuo, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    The subwoofer amp used was the Rockford Fosgate PBR300x1 - http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pbr300x1
    The enclosure houses a JL 8" subwoofer.

Here's a picture of mine - you can see how much space it takes up by the driver's footwell picture on the right.

2013-09-22 09.48.04.jpg 2013-09-22 09.48.24.jpg

12. bart513

bart513 Member

I'm pretty sure if you have the infotainment package there is a subwoofer as part of the 7 speaker system.

13. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member