Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer install on new AMD systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey just got my system installed and it took more work than normal on the new 12v li ion battery but everything is working correctly and not throwing error codes. The AMD vehicles require an extra battery for larger amps. This is not my complete and finished setup. My hd750\1 JL amp is in the shop being repaired so I'm using this kicker amp temporarily. Once my jl amp is back I'll clean up all the wiring for my final install.

Reactions: Anish3232
Hey just got my system installed and it took more work than normal on the new 12v li ion battery but everything is working correctly and not throwing error codes. The AMD vehicles require an extra battery for larger amps. This is not my complete and finished setup. My hd750\1 JL amp is in the shop being repaired so I'm using this kicker amp temporarily. Once my jl amp is back I'll clean up all the wiring for my final install.
So you ran the power from the lith battery up front all the way to the back ? I just installed mine but I’m having issues since everyone is saying not to use the under seat 12v connection . I have a lci2 pro running off the factory sub outputs and I guess I need to wire to Wire my 12v to the front . Any input is greatly appreciated .

So you ran the power from the lith battery up front all the way to the back ? I just installed mine but I’m having issues since everyone is saying not to use the under seat 12v connection . I have a lci2 pro running off the factory sub outputs and I guess I need to wire to Wire my 12v to the front . Any input is greatly appreciated .
What size amp are u running.

So do you have a 12V battery in the rear of the vehicle that charges off of the penthouse or do you have some sort of voltage step-down system in place to drop to 14 volts? Many amplifiers will work fine at 15 volts. Upper end of tolerances.

Curious to hear how you did this, got any pictures?

Amp and subwoofer install on the new Li-ion 12/15.5v AMD systems? My pictures are on this post. I have a 14v battery in the rear that charges from the front battery. If you have the new AMD system I would run the power up the the front battery jump post. I would recommend a 30 Amp fuse to the secondary battery in the rear. From the rear battery whatever fuse is necessary for your amp. I used circuit breakers instead of fuses so I could quickly separate the system if I need too.

There is one potential issue. The slash series might not like the 15.5v if u have an Amd tesla. I talked to a JL engineer and he said the HD line was the only line they tested up to 16v. It might work or the amp might go into protect. Just a heads up.

Reactions: Jam Lee
There is one potential issue. The slash series might not like the 15.5v if u have an Amd tesla. I talked to a JL engineer and he said the HD line was the only line they tested up to 16v. It might work or the amp might go into protect. Just a heads up.
Well that sucks. Looks like I have to upgrade the amp to a HD 600.1 I hooked up an 8w7 and it’s working but over time the 12v drains like crazy and probably killed the battery .

Would a capacitor help to provide the initial startup “surge” for the amp?
Honestly I'm not sure. Everyone that I have talked to in the professional space that has done install on "AMD cars 14v li ion battery" have used batteries. I have seen the relays used but only on the older Intel cars with traditional batteries. The 14 Volt battery really want 16v to fully charge and at the 15.5v gets it to like 90%. This is much safer that overcharging a 12v battery.

There are a few reasons. The li ion factory battery uses special connection to connect to the Tesla. I don't know if it will be easy to tap for connections. Second the factory battery doesn't have enough storage and to support larger amps. I would not recommend trying to add a second factory battery.

There are a few reasons. The li ion factory battery uses special connection to connect to the Tesla. I don't know if it will be easy to tap for connections. Second the factory battery doesn't have enough storage and to support larger amps. I would not recommend trying to add a second factory battery.
I’m so confused on your setup, can you explain like I’m 5? Im new to 16v.. used to ICE cars with 12v installs, did like 4 of them, pls help! I want to install a subwoofer on my new 2023 rwd. Why is there a 2nd red wire coming out from under the battery, where is it going? Where does the top red wire come or go? Is a 2nd battery needed 100% to have an aftermarket sub? Why does the NVX or whatever boost thing not need the battery. I must know!