Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer installation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought the BA Design subwoofer kit which includes a Rockford Fosgate amp, LC2i converter and of course the sub. I had it installed professionally by someone who was recommended to me by another forum member who had the same sub kit installed by the guy. Even though he was charging around the same as most shops he was able to come out to me and do the install at my house.

When he was done I noticed a few things that bothered me about the installation. First, he said the power cable was too short so he has to install the sub on one side of the trunk and the amp on the other side - I wanted the amp to go underneath the sub so it's hidden but he said he couldn't do that - does anyone know why the power cable could not be extended?

Second, he didn't use the L2Ci at all. He just tapped the signal from one of the rear speakers and fed it directly into the amp input. Obviously the bass is there but I have to turn the volume on the remote all the way up and it doesn't sound as clean as I thought it should.

How much benefit would I gain to get it re-done by someone who actually knows what they are doing? The BA Design youtube says to tap the signal from both front speakers (which have a better input from the stock amp) from the driver's side and feed that into the L2Ci and then to the amp.

You could set a distribution block at the location of the original power cable and then add another cable to extend it, you would end up with that junction point on one side, but they are typically pretty small. Alternatively, you could also just put an inline fuse at that location, provides added protection and could extend the cable to the other side. As far as taking the speaker taps directly to the amp, it's possible if your amp as line level inputs built in, otherwise not sure how you would take the line level in as most amps will only accept an RCA input, which is what the L2Ci would have given you.

You could set a distribution block at the location of the original power cable and then add another cable to extend it, you would end up with that junction point on one side, but they are typically pretty small. Alternatively, you could also just put an inline fuse at that location, provides added protection and could extend the cable to the other side. As far as taking the speaker taps directly to the amp, it's possible if your amp as line level inputs built in, otherwise not sure how you would take the line level in as most amps will only accept an RCA input, which is what the L2Ci would have given you.
Thanks for the input. Hopefully I can extend the power cable with a fuse as you said. It would be much cleaner to hide the amp under the sub. The amp does have speaker level inputs which is why I'm not sure if routing the signal through the L2Ci (rather than direct to the amp) would add any benefit or not.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully I can extend the power cable with a fuse as you said. It would be much cleaner to hide the amp under the sub. The amp does have speaker level inputs which is why I'm not sure if routing the signal through the L2Ci (rather than direct to the amp) would add any benefit or not.

If the amp has line level inputs then it's probably not worth the effort on the L2Ci, both are doing the same function only difference might be the adjustability and options between the amp versus the L2CI....but when your talking about a sub you just need to pass the low level signal and your not looking for all the additional fidelity of mids/highs, etc. The addition of the fuse would be a simple thing to do, the question would be do you also need to extend the line level speaker inputs as well, just calling it out. If it's mounted well and not creating any issues you might just leave it, unless you really just want it all contained, then go for it. It really should not take much time or effort to do really, probably spend more time getting the amp unmounted and remounted than anything else.

If the amp has line level inputs then it's probably not worth the effort on the L2Ci, both are doing the same function only difference might be the adjustability and options between the amp versus the L2CI....but when your talking about a sub you just need to pass the low level signal and your not looking for all the additional fidelity of mids/highs, etc. The addition of the fuse would be a simple thing to do, the question would be do you also need to extend the line level speaker inputs as well, just calling it out. If it's mounted well and not creating any issues you might just leave it, unless you really just want it all contained, then go for it. It really should not take much time or effort to do really, probably spend more time getting the amp unmounted and remounted than anything else.
I detect that someone has some car audio installation experience in their background. Sage advice provided.

I detect that someone has some car audio installation experience in their background. Sage advice provided.

Lol, years of a misspent youth! I installed lots of systems for my vehicles and my friends, been awhile since I've done it. Actually have all the equipment and been planning for an upgrade for my S for about a year now. If work would just give me a 1-2 week window to focus it might actually get installed lol.

Lol, years of a misspent youth! I installed lots of systems for my vehicles and my friends, been awhile since I've done it. Actually have all the equipment and been planning for an upgrade for my S for about a year now. If work would just give me a 1-2 week window to focus it might actually get installed lol.
Same scenario here, did it all the time as a teen and shortly as an adult. I did an upgrade in my MS a couple of years ago, but that was awful. I spent about a day just having to take it apart and then a couple more doing the install (mids, tweeters, sub & amp). I can't have a vehicle without a full sound system in it, it's literally music to my ears!

Same scenario here, did it all the time as a teen and shortly as an adult. I did an upgrade in my MS a couple of years ago, but that was awful. I spent about a day just having to take it apart and then a couple more doing the install (mids, tweeters, sub & amp). I can't have a vehicle without a full sound system in it, it's literally music to my ears!

LOL, yep, yep, exactly the same here....first things on any car I've owned, tint, wheels, lowered, sound system lol. I had a P85 and just did the NVX upgrade, then traded for a P100D and last year got the bug and bought all the equipment for new 3-ways in the front new coaxials for the rear and dual 10" subs, pulled the panels to tap the speaker cables for signal, pulled the power cable to the rear, even created the carcasses for the dual subs out of fiberglass for the nooks in the rear. But then winter came up quickly and I ran out of steam. Need to take like a week off to finish the box builds, A-pillar molding, and amp rack. Was even going to try a fully active system for the first time this round....just need to get my act together and start it again.