Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer? Is that what the hole is for?

Which Subwoofer condition is yours?

• Total voters

Garlan Garner

Banned
Mar 31, 2016
Chicagoland
Question for Everyone.

Please be honest. This is a Poll to possibly find out why the following hole is preset in "some" model 3's.

model3trunktop.jpg

Ptheven

Mar 9, 2019
Kellyfornya
Is that what the hole is for?

o_O

My puerility aside, I have the hole and the sub. Jan 2018 build. I'm also convinced a nontrivial amount of road noise comes in through there but I've been too lazy to put a chunk of dynamat over it to see for sure.

• Funny
Reactions: SigNC

Rothgarr

Apr 15, 2019
United States
I have a subwoofer, and I have that cutout, but there's padding/insulation or something covering it up. So I chose "no hole" since you can't see any resemblance of light coming through it like in the screenshot posted by the OP.

gcmak

Jul 26, 2019
San Francisco
Starting June/July 2019 the hole disappeared. My build is July 2019, no hole. Unscientifically, there seems to be less road noise coming from the rear trunk space but also less bass from the woofers. Noticeable difference when seats are folded down vs. up.

Trips

"Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"
Sep 22, 2015
Omaha, NE
All cars have something similar. It is used for air flow so you can get fresh air into and out of the cabin along with shutting the doors. They redesigned the air flow about 6 months ago. It has nothing to do with the subwoofer.

SigNC

Aug 23, 2017
NC
Now i'm curious. I have a Jan 18 build and a Aug 18 build. I know the jan 18 build has a hole, i'll check the Aug 18 tonight.

eXntrc

Jan 16, 2019
Houston, TX
On another forum, a user Ingineer had this to say:

"FYI: Blocking off the rear deck grille, means your HVAC will not work very well. You need to provide an exit path for air entering the car, and that's the function of that opening."

Ingineer knows a lot about how these cars are put together. He's completely disassembled one, and you can check out his videos here.

Now, having said all that, the post I quoted above was from Jan 2019 before cars started shipping without the hole. Tesla may have changed their ventilation approach.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC