Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer Level in 2018 Model S with UHFS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year I bought a demo 2018 Model S 100D, it had been loaned out to journalists for reviews prior to my purchase (at least, that's the story Tesla gave me). I am the first owner, and it arrived with about 8,500 miles on the odometer. Everything about it is great! I love the car, but unfortunately the sound system lets me down. And I would only know this because I also have a 2019 Model S 75D, and its UHFS is great.

In my 2018 car, it seems like the subwoofer is barely even on. Most of the bass is coming from the door speakers. It has been this way since I got it. I would love to just check the subwoofer to see if it works and maybe adjust the level on the amp if that might fix it. Perhaps in previous hands the setting was changed or played with, and never put back to normal? I have played with the EQ settings from the display, which helps, but not very much.

TL;DR is it possible to access the subwoofer to verify it is working correctly and also to adjust the output level at the amp to make sure it's not turned off?

On this video around 13:00 you'll start to see how to get to the stock subwoofer:

An easier solution is to play a 50hz tone via your phone or USB stick and put your ear near the sub to see if it's putting anything out. The stock amp sub channel might be dead or the sub driver might be blown.

Or, are you sure you have UHFS in your 2018? Are your door speakers 8" and do you have the 3 1/2" midranges in the dash?

Reactions: kingkong5
Awesome thanks so much for that info. I believe my car has UHFS because the sticker:

C185647D-1D30-4470-9BA3-F591943D65DC.jpeg

The door looks like this
6B2F2967-748F-45EF-A422-569E3C6B7FA4.jpeg

dash
8BF59659-B939-4BD4-ACE5-78F3EF23CB51.jpeg

eh, sorry, not sure why the pictures came in sideways or upside down

Attachments

• 2550C8B0-A2C8-40FC-A91B-603774E6B1BF.jpeg
    2550C8B0-A2C8-40FC-A91B-603774E6B1BF.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 51
According to the sticker it does. You can also easily check via the carpeted subwoofer that occupies the passenger side cubby in the hatch area. If you don't have it it's an open cubby juts like the driver's side. You can also tell by the screen where it will show a "Dolby" option of some sort within the audio settings.

I suggest checking your tone, balance and options settings and making them the same as your 2019 S. Set bass at the highest setting on your EQ and then play some music and go see if you can feel bass vibrations in the passenger rear storage area. The premium amp drives the front door speakers, rear hatch speakers, and subwoofer. If you get no sound from these than it is possible you have a blown fuse 217 in the passenger footwell (premium amp), a failed amp, or perhaps one or more failed speakers. It could be some other things, as well, including the base amp, other speakers, base amp fuse, or wiring, but I would start by checking the other possibilities first.

Last edited: