Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer Location Roadster 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the subwoofer located on a 2.0 Roadster with the electronics group?

I'll try to make a long story short. I took delivery of a CPO Roadster on 8/9/2013. It had the electronics group option with the JVC-NX5000 and tiny Blaupunkt amp, etc. I thought I noticed the subwoofer going in and out while driving the first weekend. I let Tesla know about it since all this should be under warranty per the CPO program. By now, the subwoofer doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. On the JVC-NX5000, I'll turn the input from 0 to 8 while playing some music and I don't notice a thing.

Anyway, I've let the local service center know about it about 10 times now. They said they'd take in the car and I've been asking them when I should bring it in for the past month. I've also asked if they could add a back-up camera while they have everything apart as in this thread:

Rear View Camera (pre-2.5))

They told me 2 weeks ago they'd be happy to take a look at the car. I've since sent them 3 e-mails asking when to drop it off and if they can install the back up camera while looking at the subwoofer and still no response. Annoying. :cursing:

I realize a subwoofer is hardly a priority repair, but the lack of response is annoying nonetheless.

Anyway, a local audio shop said it'd be only $120 to install the back-up camera, so I'm just going to have them do it. I've also asked them to take a look at the subwoofer while they're at it, but I don't know where it is. I know the Blaupunkt amp is underneath the passenger footwell, but where on earth is that subwoofer?

I believe it's behind the driver's seat - this is an email that I got from Tesla when I inquired about them putting in a sub. I ended up putting one in the passenger footwell since I wanted something bigger ;)

I touched base with our technician about the audio subwoofer.

He said that all roadsters are built with a subwoofer location. Depending on what sound package was purchased, the sub would be installed.

According to the tech, the location is behind the driver seat but, in order to install a subwoofer into that location, the battery pack must be dropped. It’s installed from behind.

Needless to say, this would be very expensive. Other options would be foot well subs. We saw a few on the Lotus forums.

Where is the subwoofer located on a 2.0 Roadster with the electronics group?

I'll try to make a long story short. I took delivery of a CPO Roadster on 8/9/2013. It had the electronics group option with the JVC-NX5000 and tiny Blaupunkt amp, etc. I thought I noticed the subwoofer going in and out while driving the first weekend. I let Tesla know about it since all this should be under warranty per the CPO program. By now, the subwoofer doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. On the JVC-NX5000, I'll turn the input from 0 to 8 while playing some music and I don't notice a thing.

Anyway, I've let the local service center know about it about 10 times now. They said they'd take in the car and I've been asking them when I should bring it in for the past month. I've also asked if they could add a back-up camera while they have everything apart as in this thread:

Rear View Camera (pre-2.5))

They told me 2 weeks ago they'd be happy to take a look at the car. I've since sent them 3 e-mails asking when to drop it off and if they can install the back up camera while looking at the subwoofer and still no response. Annoying. :cursing:

I realize a subwoofer is hardly a priority repair, but the lack of response is annoying nonetheless.

Anyway, a local audio shop said it'd be only $120 to install the back-up camera, so I'm just going to have them do it. I've also asked them to take a look at the subwoofer while they're at it, but I don't know where it is. I know the Blaupunkt amp is underneath the passenger footwell, but where on earth is that subwoofer?

You can also buy a 100watt self amplified sub woofer that'll fit and mount right behind the driver's seat. I looked into dialing the whole stereo system out but with the 1.5 it doesn't have a 12v aux battery and I don't want to stress the aux. system that's built into the main pack... I think its too much risk. But that seems like the best idea, I passed it on to a prof stereo guy and he agreed that was a great place and good setup for a subwoofer. If you can get the orig. one warrantied, I'd just be patient and go with that.

Thank you, both, for the feedback. My car has the electronics group option and I could have sworn I heard the subwoofer intermittently the first weekend, so it must be there and not working. I had no idea it was behind the driver's seat and required a battery drop. That's not very convenient. Maybe that's why Tesla service has been so flaky responding to me? :confused:

I'll just have the audio shop check the connections at the headunit and Blaupunkt amp when they install the backup camera. If that doesn't fix it, I'll utilize my CPO warranty and push Tesla a bit more.

I'm not looking to add an aftermarket subwoofer yet. I'd certainly prefer to have my stock warrantied one working. However, augkuo, do you have a picture or link to your subwoofer installation? You've piqued my curiosity.

I am pretty sure I have not heard my subwoofer in my CPO 1.5, I don't think anything is coming from behind my seat.

Do you have the electronics group option? My understanding of that option is upgraded headunit with NAV, bluetooth, Homelink (or was Homelink on all cars?), and 7-speaker stereo system. I imagine the 7 speakers are R and L Tweeters and Midrange (for a total of 4 speakers); R and L rear fill speakers (2 speakers); + subwoofer (1) for a total of 7.

Thank you, both, for the feedback. My car has the electronics group option and I could have sworn I heard the subwoofer intermittently the first weekend, so it must be there and not working. I had no idea it was behind the driver's seat and required a battery drop. That's not very convenient. Maybe that's why Tesla service has been so flaky responding to me? :confused:

I'll just have the audio shop check the connections at the headunit and Blaupunkt amp when they install the backup camera. If that doesn't fix it, I'll utilize my CPO warranty and push Tesla a bit more.

I'm not looking to add an aftermarket subwoofer yet. I'd certainly prefer to have my stock warrantied one working. However, augkuo, do you have a picture or link to your subwoofer installation? You've piqued my curiosity.

The sub is in the passenger footwell in a custom enclosure. The amp for it is above inside the dash - I've included a picture of the driver's footwell so you can see how much space it takes ;(

2013-09-22 09.48.04.jpg

2013-09-22 09.48.24.jpg

Creative Car Stereo Accesorries - Car Stereo Installation - 338 E Camelback Rd - Phoenix, AZ - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Near Camelback and Central in Phoenix. There is a brewery conveniently located next door while you wait. :smile:

Ask for Lance. He's the owner and does a lot of the work himself. He installed my Double-DIN conversion parts, wired my dash cam, and installed a flat subwoofer for me as well (the stock subwoofer kept cutting out at high volumes. I got sick of it). He now knows the car pretty well.

Creative Car Stereo Accesorries - Car Stereo Installation - 338 E Camelback Rd - Phoenix, AZ - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Near Camelback and Central in Phoenix. There is a brewery conveniently located next door while you wait. :smile:

Ask for Lance. He's the owner and does a lot of the work himself. He installed my Double-DIN conversion parts, wired my dash cam, and installed a flat subwoofer for me as well (the stock subwoofer kept cutting out at high volumes. I got sick of it). He now knows the car pretty well.

Whoops, I just emailed you about this too, ignore that email, sorry!

Thanks for the information, I'd love the 2.5 conversion as well, did he put the subwoofer in the passenger footwell?

Thanks for the information, I'd love the 2.5 conversion as well, did he put the subwoofer in the passenger footwell?

I actually used the Pioneer TS-WH500A enclosed thin subwoofer:

TS-WH500A - 8 HVT Sealed Active Subwoofer | Pioneer Electronics USA

and put in behind the driver's seat. It does take up a little legroom since you can't put the seat all the way back and because you're tall, it might not work for you.

I found that subwoofer online for less than $200.

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

According to the tech, the location is behind the driver seat but, in order to install a subwoofer into that location, the battery pack must be dropped. It’s installed from behind.

Needless to say, this would be very expensive. Other options would be foot well subs. We saw a few on the Lotus forums.

It turns out, the sub can be replaced WITHOUT dropping the battery. The driver's rear tire can be removed to access the panel. I confirm that it works and provide some details in the following thread:

No Brainer 4" drop-in speaker upgrade phenomenon

I always thought the 1.5's never did come installed with Subs and the upgraded sound package was just the door tweeters and JVC head unit with Nav... For some reason I thought Subs that came with the 2.0's with the sound upgrade. I could be wrong.
Hi Wiztecy the 1.5 certainly do have a subwoofer if you have the electronics group. Because low frequencies are hard to pin down the location it to s hard to find but the exit port is behind the drivers near your left elbow. I can feel the base with no problem.