Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer Options for Model S (standard Audio)

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
JL's VXi line all have integrated DSPs. Since you already have a sub amp, however, I would get an amp/dsp that allows you to output a corrected signal to another amp. Audison's Prima amps with DSP have that option, but I don't think they're the only game in town.

That said, if you're never going to upgrade the front speakers, the LC2i Pro will be just fine for the sub - no need to spend big dollars for a DSP just to tweak a sub's signal, IMO. However, if you do ever plan to upgrade the front speakers, an amp/DSP combo will be very nice to have. It is a pretty slippery slope.

Dkenon

Nov 4, 2020
Alabama
JL's VXi line all have integrated DSPs. Since you already have a sub amp, however, I would get an amp/dsp that allows you to output a corrected signal to another amp. Audison's Prima amps with DSP have that option, but I don't think they're the only game in town.

That said, if you're never going to upgrade the front speakers, the LC2i Pro will be just fine for the sub - no need to spend big dollars for a DSP just to tweak a sub's signal, IMO. However, if you do ever plan to upgrade the front speakers, an amp/DSP combo will be very nice to have. It is a pretty slippery slope.
After your post I went back and looked at my Sony amp (haven't installed yet) and it has speaker level inputs (wire harness) and audio sensing which allows me to tap signal from front speakers going to amp. I do not need to install the LC2i. I didn't recognize my amp had this capability. I don't think I will ever upgrade door speakers as I am only looking for more base. Thanks again.

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
L2Ci does more than take speaker level inputs - it also provides signal correction. The stock system rolls off low frequencies which you'll want to "put back" via external EQ/DSP. The bass boost option on the amp might be enough to get by.

Dkenon

Nov 4, 2020
Alabama
L2Ci does more than take speaker level inputs - it also provides signal correction. The stock system rolls off low frequencies which you'll want to "put back" via external EQ/DSP. The bass boost option on the amp might be enough to get by.
I didn't need much help from amp's bass boost as my speaker and enclosure satisfied my bass desire (lol). Thanks again.

MapledLeif

May 14, 2021
Calgary
another here with the NVX kit. Came with 100% of everything I needed for a very clean and fairly easy, install. It actually has more power than I can use, as I keep my control knob in the cabin, on about 50% at most. Depending on song (streaming services are convenient, but can really vary the songs quality with various compression ratios, etc) and the gain on the amp at maybe 15-20% of its full range. And the look is fully stock when done.
Where did you mount your control knob?

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
I have a drawer in my cubby, so I mounted it with the hook side velcro to the carpet of the driver's footwell in the corner between the center console and the seat rail.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC