Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer Options for Model S (standard Audio)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are all of the common options for a relatively cheap and relatively simple (at least once an amp/crossover is installed) for adding a Subwoofer to a pre-2016 non-Premium audio system? I like how the audio sounds just would like more oomph while avoiding a huge cost.

I've been Googling and I've found references to:

- NVX Enclosure [to the left where factory sub would be installed] (2012-2020 Tesla Model S NVX BOOST Kit | BE-TSLAS-VCW104)

- Rockford Fosgate R2S-1X10 [Installed in underneath compartment?]

- Someone mentioned JL Audio ACP208LG-W3v3 [Behind Back Seat?] (ACP208LG-W3v3)

Are these the basic options for a non-custom enclosure? Is it an option (even worth considering) buying a cheap $100 used Tesla Premium enclosure (1004833-05-C) and swapping out the subwoofer?

What all has people done to their Teslas?

I have the NVX amp/sub setup and it's great. It is fed a signal from an amp/dsp, however. The full NVX kit appears to include a signal corrector for the sub, but they don't mention it in the description; they only show pictures.

PBK-TSLAS-VCW104 | 2012-2020 Tesla Model S Complete B.O.O.S.T. Amplified Bass & System Upgrade Package

I also upgraded my front stage to a 3-way setup with an amp/dsp and it made a big difference, but as BrianS85 said, it increases the cost significantly as well.

Regardless of what you get, I suggest spending a few hundred bucks and a few hours of your time applying sound damping material. You'll really want it after you install a real sub, but it can improve the sound of even the factory speakers and quiet the cabin a bit.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that sounded better then the NVX. Fosgate always made good stuff. But the custom NVX box will look a little cleaner. That was one of the reasons I went with the JL power wedge, it fit in the lower compartment so my trunk could stay clear.

While the RF box might sound okay, and is surely an upgrade over the stock UHFS sub, I have my doubts that it sounds better than the NVX. Not only does it have less than half the power of the NVX setup, but there's literally no info about what driver they put in it. The NVX uses a $150 DVC driver with 20mm of xmax. It's a pretty stout driver.

I am a longtime fan of RF (I use their old amps in my other two vehicles) but this is really not their best offering.

another here with the NVX kit. Came with 100% of everything I needed for a very clean and fairly easy, install. It actually has more power than I can use, as I keep my control knob in the cabin, on about 50% at most. Depending on song (streaming services are convenient, but can really vary the songs quality with various compression ratios, etc) and the gain on the amp at maybe 15-20% of its full range. And the look is fully stock when done.

I think I shelled out $600 to install a couple of amps, a DSP which included a shop-provided wiring kit and mounting midranges and tweeters that I provided. I installed the actual sub myself since it's pretty easy.

I would expect $400 for just the NVX amp/sub. I have installed stereos in every other vehicle I've owned but I outsourced this one and feel it was well worth it.

I think I shelled out $600 to install a couple of amps, a DSP which included a shop-provided wiring kit and mounting midranges and tweeters that I provided. I installed the actual sub myself since it's pretty easy.

I would expect $400 for just the NVX amp/sub. I have installed stereos in every other vehicle I've owned but I outsourced this one and feel it was well worth it.

what’s your full setup?

I am in the process of buying components for my sound system upgrade. I ordered a custom enclosure with 10" Audio Mobile speaker from Audio Design in JAX and also bought a Sony XM GS100 amplifier from them. I am waiting on my enclosure to be delivered next week and plan to install next weekend. I also have LC2i Pro line converter to condition signals for amp input. The enclosure was $600 and amp $240.

I am in the process of buying components for my sound system upgrade. I ordered a custom enclosure with 10" Audio Mobile speaker from Audio Design in JAX and also bought a Sony XM GS100 amplifier from them. I am waiting on my enclosure to be delivered next week and plan to install next weekend. I also have LC2i Pro line converter to condition signals for amp input. The enclosure was $600 and amp $240.

Just curious but why not just choose an amp like a JL Audio that has balanced differential inputs so you won't need LOC?