TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Subwoofer range reduction?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by CZguy, Nov 26, 2015.

1. CZguy

CZguy Member

Folks,

I have purchased the N.V.X. subwoofer system and it apparently draws 15-40A based on the amount of bass produced. I wonder if you have any real world experience of range reduction with the amplifier on on N.V.X. This would be similar on the stock HiFi system though it has a smaller sub.

Thanks!

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

If you were to take the worst-case scenario of the subwoofer drawing 40A continuously (which is definitely not going to happen because you likely don't even have a 40A fuse on the amp that drives it nor will you likely have thick enough wires for that level of continuous draw, plus music is not just a continuous full volume continuous tone), that would be 12V * 40A = 480W. If you were to run it continuously for a whole hour, you would draw 480 Wh from the battery which is about 1.5 rated miles per hour (based on around 300 Wh/mi).

In reality, I doubt you will notice any difference in range at all.

3. CZguy

CZguy Member

Thanks pgiralt. Very helpful and am embarassed that I did not figure this out myself. Pretty simple math :)

4. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

This is roughly the same calculation we used when someone did the calcs for the JBL subwoofer install I did a year ago. With the 300 watt mono Class D NVX amp, it was something like .9 miles per hour reduction if the sub was blaring at full blast the entire time.

5. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

Yeah, the range reduction from the subwoofer is so small that... it's in the noise.

(Thank you... I'm here all week...)

6. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Actually, I've found that subwoofers tend to increase range ... because you gots to drive slower. Will Smith best explained it:

"Leanin' to the side but you can't speed through
    Two miles an hour so, everybody sees you."

- K