Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofers anyone?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone on here have aftermarket subwoofers installed?

I'm a big bass head and audiophile. Just got my MS and one of my first ad ons will be an audio upgrade. I'm looking forward to some subs in this. HOwever i want something bigger than the NVX i see so many talking about. Anyone here have a good subwoofer set up? How does it affect range, battery etc? I'd love to see some pics :))

Reactions: Bebop
Yep...
Had standard sound on 2017 Model X.
I had a 10” underseat active sub put under the front passenger seat.
(Rainbow intellisub 10 afe)
It cost me 350 euro incl. installation by car audio shop and it makes all the difference !
I have a remote bass control in my center console and if i turn it up too much it does get distorted. But if you are looking for clarity instead of loud bass this is more than enough. It sounds so much better that before.

The clarity of the stock MX set is pretty good, but it definately is missing some base.
Especially when playing jazz or artists like sting etc. I really enjoy the warmer and fuller sound now.

Obviously not as good as a full 3k sound upgrade, but good enough for me and worth every penny.

Attachments

• A4D7A43E-547C-47CB-9125-92665C2738E6.jpeg
    A4D7A43E-547C-47CB-9125-92665C2738E6.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 863
  • E06FB6F0-EFD4-4419-B90B-935EBAF7CC13.jpeg
    E06FB6F0-EFD4-4419-B90B-935EBAF7CC13.jpeg
    487.2 KB · Views: 841
  • 95A1AED6-E4DF-4092-AF78-9B91A108B6B4.jpeg
    95A1AED6-E4DF-4092-AF78-9B91A108B6B4.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 777
I have a custom box made that fits a 10 inch infinity kappa perfect in the stock space. Hid a class D (key for range) amp under the box. I also added a kill switch to the remote turn on which I hid under the trunk cover to turn off the sub for longer road trips if it starts effecting range. Though I doubt it will too much, my amp is rated about the same power as the UHFS amp and is more efficient.

Ordered a custom box from a shop in Florida and installed it all myself.

IMG_20190203_171135.jpg

Is the factory amp half decent? In other words could you just replace the factory sub with something better without doing the amp as well?
If it is better off being replaced is the factory amp near the sub so wiring a new one in is pretty simple?

IMG_5419.JPG
IMG_5420.JPG
I put in a Rockford Fosgate R500X1D 500W amp in with 2 JL 10w3 subs in a sealed box. It sits in the cubby. Haven't seen any ill effect on range. The amount of energy to move a sub is tremendously less than the energy required to move the car a mile.

Reactions: Tam
Where are you pulling power from for these amps? Having done many stereo upgrades in every ICE car I've owned it's always 'fun' running the heavy duty power cables back to the battery, I assume you can't just tap in to an existing 12V circuit back there and you would need to run a power cable directly to the 12V battery?

Where are you pulling power from for these amps? Having done many stereo upgrades in every ICE car I've owned it's always 'fun' running the heavy duty power cables back to the battery, I assume you can't just tap in to an existing 12V circuit back there and you would need to run a power cable directly to the 12V battery?

I pull the power directly from the 12v battery, same as an ICE car run the power cable back, there is a grommet on the passenger side that is available. Our 12v batteries are designed to be post or thread mounted, being that mine is a D, there is the thread available for an ring terminal on top of the post. Use below for how to pull wire, I would recommend not wiring the amp to the fuse block in the way the author did.

Part 3: Amplifier Installation | TeslaTap

• Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me
Just did this install and used TeslaTap's instructions. Really helpful stuff.

For cars with sunroofs, the grommet on the passenger side will be occupied and you'll have to drill another hole right next to it to run power.

Most people suggest getting an LC2i to step up the speaker level inputs but if you get an amp that takes speaker level inputs already, you'll only have one piece to install. I used a Rockford Fosgate 500w amp ( https://amzn.to/2Yi7vWp ) and I have it hooked up to two JL 10w3 subs.

View attachment 389746 View attachment 389747

Reactions: P100D_Me
Does anyone on here have aftermarket subwoofers installed?

I'm a big bass head and audiophile. Just got my MS and one of my first ad ons will be an audio upgrade. I'm looking forward to some subs in this. HOwever i want something bigger than the NVX i see so many talking about. Anyone here have a good subwoofer set up? How does it affect range, battery etc? I'd love to see some pics :))

I'm still waiting to see how an aftermarket system affect the range also. I did many searches but no one give a real answer