Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subzero vs. Pre-heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Just want to say how great the Tesla community is. I've learned a lot reading posts on the Model S. However, I am curious...

I'm looking to get a 75 or 75D, but debating on whether or not to make sure I have Subzero Weather Package or not. I understand that I am able to pre-heat the Model S, and that heated front seats are standard. What is your take on this? Has anybody had any issues or complains with pre-heating during cold days?

Thanks,
Bes

Hi guys,

Just want to say how great the Tesla community is. I've learned a lot reading posts on the Model S. However, I am curious...

I'm looking to get a 75 or 75D, but debating on whether or not to make sure I have Subzero Weather Package or not. I understand that I am able to pre-heat the Model S, and that heated front seats are standard. What is your take on this? Has anybody had any issues or complains with pre-heating during cold days?

Thanks,
Bes

Hi there!

Your winter is pretty comparable to mine (Chicago) . I didnt opt for the subzero package, and never missed it.
Remotely pre heating the car works perfect. The front seats are heated seats as standard indeed. Together this worked more than sufficient for me during last winter.

Best, Mick

Also the heated wipers were not missed by me. Pre-heating warmed the windshield enough to let snow melt .
Works with dry snow. Doesn't work on an ice day or if the snow is heavy. The only thing I've found that works under those conditions is the extra wide plastic wrap. Place that over the wipers and then pull it off in the morning.
Night before:
wrap_1_jerry.jpg

After 2 preheat sessions:
wrap_2_jerry.jpg

Clear enough off to get at the plastic wrap:
wrap_3_jerry.jpg

Wipers are now ready to use:
wrap_4_jerry.jpg

The only other consideration is conserving battery. There were a bunch of previous posts (sorry don't remember thread names) about using seat heaters (all of them with sub zero pckg) with lower heat setting to help conserve energy. Cold weather requires alot more KWh and using the heater less helps conserve range. I got in the habit of doing this on cold days and noticed a difference YMMV..

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
The problem with the new ones is the subzero package is part of a $5K package.

So it's essentially $5K for a heated steering wheel. Bah.

I do love the heated steering wheel on my 2015 70D back when the subzero was a separate package by itself.

Can't really comment about the heated wiper blades as Seattle doesn't get much snow.

Reactions: Lodo1000
I've only had my MS for a couple months. I happened to choose an inventory car with the subzero package.
My winters in Rochester NY can be brutal. I'm right between Syracuse and Buffalo. Both cities have a reputation for nasty snow squalls and wind chill.
It'll be rare that I park my car outside. It's either in my garage or in a parking garage. Neither is heated.
The first thing I noticed is that regen is pretty limited while the car is still cold. Preheat only helps a little. The regen comes back sooner, but it is still limited for a short period. Not a big deal. Just need to be aware..
The steering wheel is way too hot. There is only a single setting and it's just too much. So you are manually cycling it on and off by hand. Plus it's in an inconvenient spot in the UI. Obviously, this was designed by Californians that have little experience with a real winter )
Remember that only the heater can be activated by your phone. Basically the temperature setting controls the fan and heat cycling.
You seats will not be activated by your phone. If they were on when you got out, they will come back on when the climate control turns on.
Your steering wheel will not come on until you turn it on each time you get in.
For such a 'smart' car, the engineers and ergonomic designers could have put a little more effort in climate management in my opinion.
I still like my MS though :)

I live in Calgary and don't have the cold weather package and don't seem to have missed it having been through one winter plus a very cold and snowy November so far.

Preheating is great, I brush off the snow when the car is covered with snow just like any other car and have child seats in the back and so have no need for heated rear seats. I also rarely use the front seat heater due to the pre heat and also have not noticed the need for a heated steering wheel. My last car had a heated steering wheel that I used a few times a year at most.

I also don't play around with keeping the heater down while driving in the cold as I want to be comfortable when I drive and have never really noticed a need to conserve battery power in either my daily commute or for trips through the mountains in the winter (5 mins extra at a supercharger for the additional power I have used or not be comfortable? I know which I take).

Reactions: Lodo1000
I bought the $1K heated steering wheel, and its nice, but as most previous posters have already mentioned, it is probably not required and certainly not worth the $5K they are now asking for. One thing not mentioned yet is that it is nice to be able to have warm palms and fingers if you use the touchscreen a lot while driving. The touchscreen doesn't work when you're wearing gloves or choppers. Heated mirrors, windshield and/or wipers simply do nothing when its really cold outside. Even worse, those options can melt enough snow that freezes solid immediately outside the thermal area, and into a solid mass of ice. No good. Preheating and a snow scraper & brush are the best solutions for clean windows and comfortable driving. Good Luck.

With all respect, the SZ package is for Californian winter, which in my imagination means that one morning each year when it is coldish and you're not prepared.

If you are used to Nordic type of winter, you will use anti-freeze wiper fluids, pre-heat enough to get the windscreen open, and wear warm gloves (touch screen compatible) for your commute.

Ok, if you have rear passengers it may be worth it, but my gym bag is not complaining about cold seat.

Works with dry snow. Doesn't work on an ice day or if the snow is heavy. The only thing I've found that works under those conditions is the extra wide plastic wrap. Place that over the wipers and then pull it off in the morning.
Night before:
View attachment 259417
After 2 preheat sessions:
View attachment 259418
Clear enough off to get at the plastic wrap:
View attachment 259419
Wipers are now ready to use:
View attachment 259421

Like the plastic wrap idea. Thanks for posting — will try that out.

The steering wheel is way too hot. There is only a single setting and it's just too much.
I found this is true if you only use it on short trips. Anything over 20 mins though and the steering heater drops quite a lot in temp to the point where sometimes it is hard to tell if it is on. I wish the phone app allowed you to activate seats and steering wheel.

Reactions: Ande
Words to live by: “You’ll never get what you don’t ask for.”

Email Tesla and request app changes to enable those features rather than wishing for them. Too few of us probably do. I haven’t yet, but after one winter gone and another looming, it’s time. :)

Brush as little as possible and never to the metal. There is always dirt under the snow, and you are effectively rubbing microscratches to the paint, no matter how soft your brush is. Snow will melt away in garage. Just have good ventilation and/or dehumifier to avoid moisture related problems.

Reactions: Duffer