TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Subzero Weather Package - Heated Wipers / Nozzles

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by cwave1, Dec 17, 2013.

1. cwave1

cwave1 Member

I had my first experience with a really cold and snowy day earlier this week. When the heated wipers were turned on it did not seem to make a difference with the wipers and I couldn't get any fluid out of the nozzles even after using the heated mode for my entire 1 hour commute.

Does anyone have positive or negative experiences with this feature?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The usual reason is that the wiper fluid isn't rated for a low temperature. Replace the stock fluid with some low temperature fluid.

3. cwave1

cwave1 Member

I'm using -40C RainX so that should be fine.

4. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

Haven't used the feature much yet. I wonder if it times out after a while?

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I have found the stock wiper blades very poor in freezing conditions. However, this has been true on just about every vehicle I've owned and I generally replace with winter blades during the snowy season. Guess I'll be doing the same on my Model S.

6. jefflieb

jefflieb Member

#6 jefflieb, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    My experience here in Boston on two separate snow events were that the wiper blades were a failure and presented an unsafe driving condition even after several stops to clear ice off them. I stopped by the service center today about just this situation...."they are fine sir" I do not have the winter package. I had a lengthy talk with the service manager as well

7. Kenz

Kenz Member

Healed seats, heated steering wheel and heated wipers are options worth having in cold weather climates.
    Nothing is perfect but they do help.

8. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Agree with Kenz. I'm very glad we got the winter package, but it's not magic. Years ago we had a Dodge Caravan with heated wipers and side mirrors, and that really worked well. The Tesla version is OK, but not nearly as good.